Thoughts about a Y axis mod to Hadron

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Thoughts about a Y axis mod to Hadron

Postby tmccafferty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 pm

I was thinking about a mod to the Y axis to increase the vertical stability of the build platform. The basic mod would be two rails; one on each side. The build plate would have more rollers. The two rails would be coupled with a piece of angle to support the mounting of the motor and pulley so that the drive belt would be centered.

This would make the build platform more stable/robust in the vertical direction. Is this a waste of effort? Anyone had any issues with z stability or repeatability in this direction?
tmccafferty

Re: Thoughts about a Y axis mod to Hadron

Postby SystemsGuy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:52 pm

You'll end up with an over constrained axis unless you are really careful. I've not really noticed any Y stability issues, though - I'm running a PCB heatbead + 3mm boro glass.
SystemsGuy

Postby bdring » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I saw a picture of one that had a heavy 24" wide build platform. He used two Y axis extrusions. I don't think he ever made something that big, but he sure could load up the platform.

You can use the carriage to align the rails. Tighten one firmly and the other a little less. Roll the carriage a few times to pull it into alignment.

With that said, I think the Hadron setup is fine. Over complicating it might make it worse in practice.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby vgordin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm

If you're worried about Y stability with a wide build platform, why not just use a double or triple width extrusion with some open rail on it?

http://www.openbuilds.com/OpenBuilds_St ... /open-rail

To me, the strength of the Ord design relative to the other aluminum repraps is it's simplicity and ease of assembly. Once you get into all sorts of bracing, you'd likely be better off going with a proven design like the Max, Bukobot, Adapto, etc. than designing your own from scratch.
vgordin

Postby mikegrundvig » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:06 pm

The OpenRail + extra wide extrusion is what the Make:KC group is planning to use for our next batch of printers. We did our group buy a few months ago and the printers are working great so now we are going to do some 12x12x12 build platform printers using all the things we've learned. The prototype 12" printer Rodney made required a lot of work to ensure the bed stayed rigid and stable when using just 40mm Makerslide.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby tmccafferty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:12 am

Which "extra wide" extrusion did you use?

Any photos of your implementation?
tmccafferty

Postby mikegrundvig » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 am

We've not built the 12" printers yet, the plan is to use 2080 extrusion for that piece though.

-Mike
mikegrundvig

Postby vgordin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:26 pm

I was thinking something along these lines, but I haven't drawn it up yet.

http://www.amazon.com/80-20-SERIES-T-SL ... +extrusion
vgordin

Postby bdring » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 pm

The misumi extrusion tend to work better in my experience because the have the smallest corner radius. It has a better edge to mount against.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby REdington » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:41 pm

bdring wrote:The misumi extrusion tend to work better in my experience because the have the smallest corner radius. It has a better edge to mount against.

I'll agree with Bart and use the Misumi for open rail.

The plan is to use Misumi with hard coated Open Rail for everything on the build. I want to try to use the steel V wheels on all axis. I'll also use some 3/8" x10 precision acme screws with homemade nuts on the Z axis.

tmccafferty
I will post some when I start the build. I have everything I need but the Misumi and I will be ordering it later this week. We'll also be using Roy's heatbeds. The one I got from him for the 12 X 12 that I have now is super and heats very fast.
Also will be trying a duel Bowden extruder set up of some kind with hotends that I'll make.

Here is the thread on the 12 X 12 that I have now
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1806&start=10

Rodney
REdington

Return to ORD Bot