New ORD Bot Idea

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: New ORD Bot Idea

Postby tmccafferty » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 am

I'm with you flurin on the wiring. I think on my next one I won't run the wiring in the extrusion. It really limits you on what you can reasonably do later. I'm always in favor of neat wiring, but serviceability is also important. I think you could keep it pretty clean with some small Panduit type products or maybe even the plastic wire mold they sell at the home centers for running exposed wiring.
tmccafferty

Postby flurin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 am

... there are also clips and covers on Thingiverse that you can print (almost no costs):

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16344

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:62629
flurin

Parts on order

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I got 5 sets of parts on order for the base. It could take a while though.

The parts will have captive nuts, where appropriate.

inserts.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby richmond » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Let me know if you want someone to test a channel without prior build experience.
I have all my hadron mechanical parts but haven't started assembling yet.
richmond

Postby bdring » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 pm

The parts are being made by my normal high volume supplier. They gave me the normal 4 week lead time, but I am hoping they can use this little 5 piece order to fill out a sheet earlier.

Keep in mind, this moves the motors, so some other parts are not compatible.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Digitalmagic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 am

I really prefer this for the motor mounting.
Am a little concerned by rigidity, the U-shaped design is not offering the same resistance to torsion compared to the 2-slots Misumi.
Now the Y-axis and Z-axis have more rigidity, than X-axis, seen as a torsion axis.

About the Nema 17, do you think all of them are really 42mm wide to fit into it?

Perhaps a comparative torsion simulation could help, I already did it to measure 1 meter Makerslide deflexion.
Makerslide-1000mm-Deflection.JPG
1m Makerslide deflection - 10lbsforce > 1,7mm
Last edited by Digitalmagic on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm

About the Nema 17, do you think all of them are really 42mm wide to fit into it?

The space for a motor is 45mm wide.

Am a little concerned by rigidity, the U-shaped design is not offering the same resistance to torsion compared to the 2-slots Misumi.

I think this will be stronger than the current design in all modes except for attaching the Y axis assembly. Compared to a lot of other designs (cube, up, printerbot) that work fine, this should be better.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Digitalmagic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 pm

bdring wrote:I think this will be stronger than the current design in all modes except for attaching the Y axis assembly.
Possibly, I would suggest a stress test at high speed, printing a long-shaped part along Y axis, generating a back and forth shaking effect to assess possible Z-axis / Y-axis orthogonality.
When printing the higher layers, the X-carriage induces an increasing moment related to Y-axis.

BTW, would you make the CAD file available?
Would give a try comparing the Misumi vs. U-shaped part X-related same torsion.

Thanks.

EDIT: I would drill holes to fit various Nema17 flavors.
ORDBot-Rail-NemaHoles.JPG
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby bdring » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Here is the STEP file. I think you need to analyse the whole machine. Just looking at bending and twisting forces could mislead you.

The strength of the motor mounts should be referenced to the "fixed" point of the vertical Z extrusions. You are only concerned with the difference between those items.

The forced induced by the Y are complex. It is more of a lateral force than a twist.

c17063.zip
(31 KiB) Downloaded 978 times

The part is being prototyped with just a NEMA 17 pattern.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Enraged » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Nema17 is a motor standard, correct? From what I understand there should be no differences in mounting or overall size, the only differences being motor height and shaft lengths (dual or single, etc).

It looks to me that this is going to be much more stable than the current bolt on bracket. I have concentric flexible couplers for my Z, and the motor brackets still flex noticeably.
Enraged

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot