New ORD Bot Idea

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

New ORD Bot Idea

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:35 pm

I had this idea to replace the bottom extruded cross member with this formed piece. What do you think?

• Lower Cost
  • Lower Part Count
  • Easier Motor Alignment
  • Stiffer Motor Mounts
  • Much easier to do clean wiring...no drilling.

bottom_xbar.jpg
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: New ORD Bot Idea

Postby Enraged » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I like it. How much?
Enraged

Postby cozmicray » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Is there a drawing?
Can it be made out of a standard channel?

Tnx
cozmicray

Postby richmond » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:28 pm

I quite like the look of this.
I may just be having wishful thoughts but I suspect there would be better dimensional constraints with such a design, as in I suspect an easier job of truing up, etc.
How far between "Idea" and "This is ready to order." do you think this would be in the next week or so?
Also, how about people who are messing with larger build volume mods, can size be altered easily or can CAD templates be provided for people to drill/mill their own channel of arbitrary length?
richmond

Postby Enraged » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

it looks like this removes the adjustability of the motor mounts, is that an issue for alignment?
Enraged

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:08 pm

I am getting it quoted.

It could be made out of standard 6063 channel stock 2" x 1" x 1/8" or possibly 2" x 1/2" x 1/8". I am sure that would be more expensive in mass production over laser cut and bent.

As designed, it would require a few few changes to other parts, so if you want to make one, you need to design your own version.

The new width is going to be narrower because you don't need the place to attach motor mounts. The lead screw is getting closer to the bracket. These two things require modifications to the gantry brackets and the lift block.

it looks like this removes the adjustability of the motor mounts, is that an issue for alignment?

I am allowing for enough adjustment so it can be squared up. I have added holes if you want to bolt into the extrusion holes, but I am not recommending their use unless your cuts are all perfect. The standard method of mounting remains.

do you think this would be in the next week or so?

This is a long way off, because I have a few other things to try.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bdring » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 pm

can size be altered easily

The design scales, but you would need to re-fabricate the part.

BTW: This is the idea I had for the top of the extrusion so you don't need to drill the extrusion to get the wires out. This is a new cap with a notch to let the wires out. It would probably get a hole for to mount the springs. The handle plate is there for reference only. It would move or may change slightly.

new_extr_cap.jpg
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:16 am

I like the idea as an addition to the BOM for "new" kits. I'll defer to you on the cost savings, it's got to be marginal to the end consumer...

From an "ease of use" standpoint, will be a lifesaver and a time saver, although I have more heartburn and consumed time with the vertical top holes when wiring, so using the "exit the top" is a good idea, probably more practical since the extrusion channel layout has changed.

I've made drilling jigs, but since most people build one ordbot once, making it easier is a good thing. I'm not sure yet it's going to make it that much easier to square the Z axis, but I need to think about that a bit..
SystemsGuy

Postby geoffs » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 am

I like the extrusion top piece. Anything that makes the wiring easier/neater is a good thing.

Regards
Geoff
geoffs

Postby flurin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am

bdring wrote:I had this idea to replace the bottom extruded cross member with this formed piece. What do you think?

Generally I like every improvement that increases print quality and makes it easier to use/assemble. For people like me one aspect of buying a DIY Kit is to learn the 3D-Printer Technology and to "see how their baby is growing" in other words to be able to improve the printer.

Pros and Cons:

+++ Stiffer motor mounts
++ No drilling needed
+ Less items
+ Easy wiring
(+) Lower cost?

--- Inflexible for later improvemts
- No Misumi or MakerSlide part (less coolness)

Regarding the wiring: if I'd build a new ORD Bot, I wouldn't use the extrusions for the wiring. Considering that the most parts of the wiring including the controller and the power supply are external I'd use plastic wiring accesories. This way it's easier to assemble and more important it's easier to improve and repair.
Last edited by flurin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
flurin

Next

Return to ORD Bot