Hot-End and Extruder Choices

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Hot-End and Extruder Choices

Postby flickerfly » Thu May 09, 2013 2:14 pm

SeeMeCNC has a new extruder that looks like a great option. The price looks decent, but I'd need to pick up a hotend from J-Head or somewhere. I may just do this. I'm an easy sell when flexibility is a feature. Will get the stepper from ATI I think. $25 versus $10 seems like a no brainer.

flickerfly

Panucatt stuff ships & dry fit of the mechanical platform

Postby flickerfly » Thu May 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Just received my email from Panucatt that my shipping order was made. I guess those will enter the UPS system some time today.

I pre-ordered the SeeMeCNC EZStruder Extruder Kit. I'm probably overly impressed with the RostockMax so wanted to get something from them and that kit looks to be such a good intro price and I'm an easy sell when flexibility is high on the feature list. The one downside is that it won't ship until May 20th, but that'll be encouragment for me to make sure the mechanical platform is in great shape and wired up pretty. :lol:

Which reminds me, I realized last night that there are no holes drilled in ATI's extrusions for running the wires. I had no expectation one way or the other, but it seems worth recording that this is the case for someone looking for that information. I'll be looking to use the drill press at the hackerspace to resolve that since appearance and kid-proofing are priorities for me, but not until I have a good idea of where to drill.

Any tips on how to make the wiring hole location decisions? Mistakes to avoid?

--- Oh, this post was supposed to be on my buildlog, not here... sorry for the noise.
Last edited by flickerfly on Thu May 09, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flickerfly

Re: Panucatt stuff ships & dry fit of the mechanical platfor

Postby Winder » Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm

flickerfly wrote:Any tips on how to make the wiring hole location decisions? Mistakes to avoid?

I used the "handle" piece to mark the top holes on the Z extrusion. Everything else I either made holes approximately where they ought to go (where the springs enter isn't critical), or by the measurements in this PDF on page 2: http://www.buildlog.net/documents/d30060_rev_2.pdf
Winder

Postby flickerfly » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

I somehow missed what that drawing was about. Thanks for the pointer Winder!
flickerfly

Postby flickerfly » Thu May 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Are the J-Head hotends on ebay any good or should I avoid that method of acquisition? I see hotends.com is out of stock.
flickerfly

Postby alwayswill » Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 pm

flickerfly wrote:Are the J-Head hotends on ebay any good or should I avoid that method of acquisition? I see hotends.com is out of stock.

Can't say much about eBay, but I have purchased from hotends.com many times now and really happy with the results of purchase and use. The parts usually get stocked on Friday. As of 5/9/2013, the page that sells the J-head Mk V-B states "Hot-ends are posted, for sale, on Fridays (around noon, EST) for shipping the following Monday and Tuesday.".

Another hint, if you can spend over $100, you can select free shipping too!

Hope this helps,

-Will

P.S. Not affiliated with hotends.com, just a happy customer.
alwayswill

Hotends.com tips

Postby flickerfly » Thu May 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks alwayswill. That's some good info. :) I'll check it tomorrow.
flickerfly

Postby blah_59 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Concur with above comments, you need to order on Friday before they sell out again for the week. I ordered my second one from hotends.com last Friday (going to make a raised mount for dual-extrusion when I get a chance) and it came in today. :D
blah_59

Previous

Return to ORD Bot