My first bbbbad print

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: My first bbbbad print

Postby nixtacy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:17 am

orcinus wrote:Hope i didn't offend him :?

Check his post history.
Almost every one of his posts are simply "it's broke, why?"
nixtacy

Postby keos » Mon May 27, 2013 4:53 am

Guys I did not get offended ; I just want to print some cool things like you guys. I posted a couple of videos on YouTube in regards my extruder and test cube,I do not know what is going on. If someone can watch the video and tell me what is going on I appreciate it.
this is for the extruder
this is printing the test cube

ABS does not stick to the glass, so I used blue painters tape but as you can see the ends are lifting.

This is my setting in configuration.h
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {78.7402,78.7402,2560,106.707}

The (106.707) came from ATI
but there is also QU-BD witch is (93.36304) which I have not tried yet

If you guys think you can help me on this great.

Keos
keos

Postby nixtacy » Mon May 27, 2013 6:32 am

As far as your configuration.h file and your Extruder Steps (E-Steps), 106.707 is going to print more material then 93.36304. For now, I would leave that alone. Later on, I would recommend you calibrate it yourself and not rely on other peoples published numbers. I calibrated mine at 100mm and my E-Steps came out to 98.1584 (<- do not use this).

I see two things that concern me.
One, your home position is not close enough to your bed. This is going to be a very difficult part, as it takes time to nail it just right.
Two, It looks to me as if your Z axis is lifting too much between layer changes. Are you 100% sure 2560 is your 'number'? On my Ordbot, with an 8mm threaded rod, my number IS 2560. Assuming you are using the same, then this number, for all intents and purposes, is correct. Next, I would manually (via software interface) lift your Z axis 100mm, and measure it to ensure that it does indeed raise exactly 100mm.

Good luck, that looks very frustrating.
nixtacy

Postby cvoinescu » Mon May 27, 2013 9:09 am

I agree with nixtacy. Your first layer is extruded too high up, which is part of why it doesn't stick. Your Z moves too much -- check your microstepping settings, maybe they're accidentally set to 2x or 4x when you have the steps-per-mm configured for 16x.
cvoinescu

Postby keos » Mon May 27, 2013 8:50 pm

nixtacy so i did lift the Z axis 100mm like you suggested, and measure it, and indeed it raise exactly 100mm.
My other concern is the extruder , when i extrude 5mm it extrudes it. i do the same process again and it is fine, i keep on extruding in increments of 5mm and then all of the sudden
as you saw in the video it pushes the filament but it does not come out. When it is printing is the same, the line of filament is full an then empty, the filament does not come out continuously as it prints there are gaps..

Thankx
keos
keos

Postby cvoinescu » Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Can you tell whether the stepper skips steps (does not rotate and makes a loud noise), or the filament slips against the drive gear? Another possibility, if you have a stepper with a round shaft without a flat, is for the shaft to slip inside the drive gear (set screw not tight enough).

If it's the stepper that skips, and your stepper driver current isn't already at the rated value for the motor, you can try increasing the current.

Either way, check that your hot end is at the correct temperature for the material you're extruding. Try increasing it 5-10 degrees.
cvoinescu

Postby orcinus » Mon May 27, 2013 9:58 pm

His first video sounds like stepper skipping, i.e. encountering more load than its torque can push.

There are 4 options:
1) current too low like you've mentioned
2) temperature too low like you've mentioned
3) filament "bloating" inside the hotend tube and getting stuck (hotend needs more cooling or the teflon tube mod mentioned elsewhere in the forum)
4) tension on the idler too high

Since there's other people using the same idler kit with the same spring, 4) can probably be rejected as a possibility.
1) and 2) can be easily rectified and checked. 3), unfortunately, is not that simple...
orcinus

Postby keos » Tue May 28, 2013 2:17 am

Guys the modification of the Teflon tube has been done in the extruder i have on the printer...

i have to check two things that you guys mentioned and i have not tried yet

1. increasing the current
2. i have a round shaft and maybe is not tight enough

also i am using an MK7 drive gear

i was using gray ABS then i switched to black ABS and it was not skipping as much could the color difference have anything to do with this, but i will try 1 and 2 and will let you know the outcome, also the filament not sticking could it be that the bed is not leveled, i am 95% sure that the bed is level but could this be one of the problems of the filament not sticking....

keos
keos

Postby keos » Tue May 28, 2013 3:01 am

Also one other thing; when I open slic3r and load an STL file to slice and when I export the file to g-code slic3r crashes and the slic3r window automatically closes.

What is the cause of this

Keos
keos

Previous

Return to ORD Bot