SOLVED Mech LimitSwitch FAIL, Ord Hadron, Insights appreciat

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

SOLVED Mech LimitSwitch FAIL, Ord Hadron, Insights appreciat

Postby IN@N » Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 pm

ISSUE: Cannot get the Hadron to auto Home

New Build
Ord Hadron, from ATI http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/3d-printer/ord-bot-hadron-3d-printer-kits
Mechanical portion assembled (X)
RAMP 1.4 http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/3d-printer/ramps-pre-assembled-kit-complete
-- RepRap Arduino Mega Pololu Shield board. This is version 1.4 of our shield, designed to drive a RepRap from an Arduino Mega.
-- assembled and firmware loaded (X)
-- configuration.h changed to reflect instructions from ATI site (X)

3 mechanical limit Switches
-- installed in the Min locations
-- wired in the NC config (1st and 3rd post)
-- switch confirmed as normal closed when not activated via Multi-meter
-- on RAMPS the 2 wires go to s and (-)
-- each limit switch are on the x-, y- and z-

Servos (4)
-- installed and wired
-- red, blue, green, black wiring order

Description of behavior: using the LCD controller to try and get the Hadron to Auto Home. it does not run each axis to the limit switch and stop, instead it appears to move 10mm in the correct direction and then stop, when i push the controller again it goes another 10mm and then stops until each axis reaches the specific limit switch. for the axis that is at the limit switch it cycles in and then back out but stops at the switch. I think I have something backwards; but 6 hours in on changing settings but no joy. Just reset all back to the ATI recommended settings to take another run at it after some sleep!

ADDING Data: M119 reports X-min, y_min, z_min triggered, M114 returns 0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00 even though not homed

Any assistance would be appreciated
Last edited by IN@N on Sun May 19, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN@N

Re: Mech Limit Switch FAIL, Ord Hadron, Insights appreciated

Postby cozmicray » Sun May 19, 2013 3:39 pm

You might want to look at this

http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4#Wiring

"Mechanical Endstops
The recommended firmware will provide a configuration to use mechanical endstops with just two wires.
Find the area labelled "endstops" in the upper right corner of the board and for each of the X, Y, and Z pairs of pins (label should be below each set) do the following:
Connect S (top row, labelled to the left) on RAMPS to NC on the switch.
Connect GND on RAMPS to C on the switch.
Note: The latest firmware such as Marlin seems to use NO as the default pin on the switch. Otherwise you may need to invert the endstops in the firmware. You can use M119 to check your endstops status."
cozmicray

Postby IN@N » Sun May 19, 2013 3:50 pm

is the same place I ended up late last night.

the thing that I hit the wall on and still seem to be bouncing against this morning is:

Otherwise you may need to invert the endstops in the firmware.

can't seem to get my head around which section in configuration.h does that. had played with each section one at a time, but not finding that light at the end of the tunnel!

can you point me to the correct section?

tnx
IN@N

Postby IN@N » Sun May 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Progress! at least with the limit switches presenting the correct reading. WAS A BAD IDEA. BASICALLY TOOK THE LIMIT SWITCHES OUT OF USE

went with the old hardware solution. WAS WRONG

M119 reported triggered for all 3 mechanical switches when the 2 wires were connected to s and (-)

so switched the wires to s and (+) MISTAKE LEAVE AS (s) and (-)

M119 now correctly reports OPEN on all switches NOT TRUE

HOWEVER: when the limit switch is triggered it does not stop the motion! BECAUSE LIMIT SWITCHES DID NOT WORK AS A RESULT OF THE CHANGE IN WIRING

Do I need to use both the NC and the NO? seems kinda strange

Back to the drawing board

So went through the multiple Posts on the Board again and found the marlin extract of the mechanical settings from bloomingtonmike <Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:06 pm> that appears to have done the necessary magic!

now can Auto Home!

Next building the Extruder kit form BuildYourCNC.com http://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/3D-Printer-Component-extruder

was trying to buy the Mk7 StepStruder http://store.makerbot.com/stepstruder-mk7-complete.html

but are out of stock and now projection when they will have available again ;-(

Will get a build log up once I catch a breath
Last edited by IN@N on Sun May 19, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN@N

Postby Enraged » Sun May 19, 2013 6:32 pm

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR 1

#define min_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops true //If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.
// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 205
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 170
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS -150

That's the section in Marlin under Configuration.h for my machine. It starts on line 247 (line number is listed in the bottom left of the arduino window)
Enraged

Postby IN@N » Sun May 19, 2013 6:38 pm

thank you, as you can see above, worked through the firmware one more time and appear to have it working.

but appreciate your post. I had pretty much the same settings as yours. My issue was further up.

any reason you have your range of motion in the Z direction as a negative?

thank you again for responding
IN@N

Re: SOLVED Mech LimitSwitch FAIL, Ord Hadron, Insights appre

Postby Enraged » Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 pm

You must have edited it before I finished posting :)

As for my Z, it was just the way I had the Z motors wired. By the time I realized they were turning the wrong way, I had already crimped and heatshrunk all of the connectors so I didn't bother changing it.

And that's a damn expensive extruder. If it's a copy of the QUBD extruder, good luck....
Enraged

Postby IN@N » Sun May 19, 2013 8:05 pm

no not a QUBD, was the closest I could get to a StepStruder Mk7

will see if it works. just finished going through the package and appear to be missing 2 critical parts.

So will have to wait until I get the rest of the order before doing my first calibration cube ;-(

Only silver lining on the horizon is I supported the Kickstarter campaign for the RepRap 3D printer Therminator 5 Hot End

so once I get a little bit of time on this setup will be ready to do the mod upgrade!
IN@N

Postby blah_59 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:19 pm

You should be able to get the mk7 drive gear clone from a guy in Denmark on eBay. Search for it and you should find it, very reasonably (cheaper than original) priced and fast shipping. It say it could take up to 6 weeks but I got mine in a week. I know several other guys here got them from him as well with, I think, the same results.
blah_59

Postby IN@N » Tue May 21, 2013 1:32 am

appreciate the referral will look for him on e-bay!
IN@N

Return to ORD Bot