reprap discount ORDbot kit endstops - how do they mount?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: reprap discount ORDbot kit endstops - how do they mount?

Postby kourou » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:32 pm

kourou

Postby orcinus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Technically, you don't need *any* limit switches.
You could use the printer just fine with manual homing - you move the axes to what you want as their origins (i.e. to their limit + a little margin), then issue a G92 command to set that as origin.

The only two reasons 3 limit switches are there is:
1) to automate the homing
2) for ease of mind if you have them set up to always halt the movement if hit (even during printing)

Considering how much time people spend adjusting their bed level, 1) is of dubious importance, as you'll end up spending time on homing one way or the other (at some point). 2) is irrelevant, as it only helps if the gcode somehow tries a move beyond the limits and the work area width/height/depth in firmware somehow gets corrupted (if that happens, you've got more problems to worry about than hitting the limit).

Draw your own conclusions as to what use 6 limit switches are ;)
orcinus

Postby aus_student » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Hello,
This is my first post on luildlog.net,
I am also building an ORDbot using a kit from reprap discount. Along with the six endstops I also received 6 extra T-Nuts with grub screws and 12 nylon washers. The endstops mount very nicely on the aluminium extrusions using the T-nuts. I just had to purchase some M4 nuts that were not included. The min and max endstops have the switch on opposite sides so that the switch is on the far side away from the rail when mounted using the conventions for min and max found in the odd bot wiki. The switch is actuated by the tip of the bolt that runs through the v-wheels.
Attachments
IMG_1196.JPG
aus_student

Previous

Return to ORD Bot