ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Please disregard my comment about the activated carbon filters. Further research reveals that I understand little about how they work, so I should have refrained to comment in the first place. I have no idea. :)
cvoinescu

Postby JLG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 am

Okay, so exactly which extruder was the platform made for? Because it sure as hell doesn't fit my extruder in any way, I've even tried turning the hobbed bolt the other way and locking it with a Nyloc nut, am I doing something wrong? Or am I supposed to need to drill holes?
JLG

Postby flickerfly » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:22 pm

I tossed a slightly modified block of wood in between. It works pretty well as an adapter. Before that I used zip ties which also worked surprisingly well, not perfect.

You can also get an alternative carriage to customized to your needs.
flickerfly

Postby JLG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:59 pm

flickerfly wrote:I tossed a slightly modified block of wood in between. It works pretty well as an adapter. Before that I used zip ties which also worked surprisingly well, not perfect.

You can also get an alternative carriage to customized to your needs.

Awesome reply, thanks! Actually turns out the place I worked at had some scrap aluminum, so I got a custom piece machine that will essentially extend the plate. The extruder will bolt to the plate, and the plate will bolt to the carriage. Thanks though! That's good to know for the next build! I'll post a pic of the extension when I get the holes drilled
JLG

Postby flickerfly » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:09 pm

There is an STL out here on the forums somewhere for that plate as well as one for plexi that has larger offset spacers for next time you want to machine your own. Bart does a good job sharing his designs.
flickerfly

Postby JLG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:44 am

Hey, so after assembling my mechanical platform, I ran into a strange problem: the threaded rod is slightly bent, and when trying to rotate the left rod, it sticks really badly. Put oil, still sticks. I switched the threaded rods, still sticks on the left side even after being switched. This leads me to believe it's the nut block. I tried taking the whole gantry off and it rotates fine. I made sure the rods ran parallel to the makerslide, still sticks. (When I say sticks, I mean it'll rotate fine for half a revolution, then it'll get really difficult and then loosen again, etc.) I loosened the screws holding the nut block so it has a fraction of a multimeter of room, and the rod rotates almost perfectly. Am I gonna have to worry about Z-wobble? (I don't know what that is exactly, but it sounds like this could cause it, lol).
JLG

Postby rickmellor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:12 am

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:138425

This mount allows you to use the EZ Struder with the standard Maker Slide carriage plate without any new holes.
rickmellor

Postby flickerfly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 am

If you take the threaded rod off the stepper and move it by hand through the nut does it act in the same way? Could it be that adjusting the location of your Stepper motor in, out, forward or back might straighten the rod to the upright makerslide a bit more and reduce the problem?
flickerfly

Postby rickmellor » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:21 am

What does you z-nut setup look like? Is it the new floating style or is it the old one where the nut is fixed to the z carriage? The old style is over-constrained. The new style looks like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42658

Long discussion on z-wobble issues: http://eng-serve.com/buildlog/forum/vie ... =33&t=1680
rickmellor

Postby JLG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:53 am

rickmellor wrote:http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:138425

This mount allows you to use the EZ Struder with the standard Maker Slide carriage plate without any new holes.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind for when/if I upgrade.

flickerfly wrote:If you take the threaded rod off the stepper and move it by hand through the nut does it act in the same way? Could it be that adjusting the location of your Stepper motor in, out, forward or back might straighten the rod to the upright makerslide a bit more and reduce the problem?

I does turn properly if I take the whole gantry assembly off and hold it in my hand. I've tried lining up the motors and adjusting the frame, no luck, just got a slight bit better.

rickmellor wrote:What does you z-nut setup look like? Is it the new floating style or is it the old one where the nut is fixed to the z carriage? The old style is over-constrained. The new style looks like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42658

Long discussion on z-wobble issues: http://eng-serve.com/buildlog/forum/vie ... =33&t=1680

I can't tell if this is my z-nut or not. I can tell that mine is silver, it is not chamfered like the one in the photo, and it has 2 screws in it. When I loosened both screws, very very slightly, the problem is 95% gone. Will this be good enough?
JLG

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot