ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Postby JLG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:26 am

. . . anyone have feedback on this?
JLG

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

I guess we don't bother with enclosures that much. :)
cvoinescu

Postby flickerfly » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 pm

I've noticed after prolonged periods of watching my printer my sinuses get a little stuffy so I'd agree that an enclosure isn't a bad idea. Soldering does that to me too.

I've thought about just venting it out a window instead of filtering, but I guess that would have issues of temperature control which would affect print quality.

I don't have much more to say than that.

My first impression on that huge fan was that it looks like overkill to me. Do you run it at a slow speed so as to provide increased volume without as much activity or something? I'd assume air moving in the enclosure would potentially impact print quality as would heat containment. I don't know if it would be better to have a warmer compartment for the prints or not.
flickerfly

Postby cozmicray » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 pm

An Activated Carbon traps the Hydrogen Cyanide and other stuff produced
An air purifier close to your printer should suck up stuff
and not cool down printer.
cozmicray

Postby JLG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:44 pm

flickerfly wrote:I've noticed after prolonged periods of watching my printer my sinuses get a little stuffy so I'd agree that an enclosure isn't a bad idea. Soldering does that to me too.

I've thought about just venting it out a window instead of filtering, but I guess that would have issues of temperature control which would affect print quality.

I don't have much more to say than that.

My first impression on that huge fan was that it looks like overkill to me. Do you run it at a slow speed so as to provide increased volume without as much activity or something? I'd assume air moving in the enclosure would potentially impact print quality as would heat containment. I don't know if it would be better to have a warmer compartment for the prints or not.

Well the fan is not really that big, it's a 3" diameter. And what it has above the others is pressure: normal computer fans might move air, but don't have nearly enough pressure to push air through a filter. Also I thought the airflow might be a problem, but thinking about how it would be dragging air from the bottom and pushing it through the top, it would pretty much be the same as having a slight draft in an open room any way. I personally thought to vent it out my window would be much more labourous, expensive, and exposed to cold weather (live in Canada). Just wondering what people thought about the abs fumes and a HEPA filter combined with a charcoal filter.
JLG

Postby JLG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:45 pm

cozmicray wrote:An Activated Carbon traps the Hydrogen Cyanide and other stuff produced
An air purifier close to your printer should suck up stuff
and not cool down printer.

Oh, thanks, good to know!
JLG

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm not worried about hydrogen cyanide. I know it's the stuff of Agatha Christie murders and suicide capsules, so it sounds deadly, but you already ingest and make more of it in your body, as part of normal diet and metabolism, than the printer makes. In tiny quantities, it is completely innocuous. That said, there are things in ABS, and, to a lesser extent, PLA, that aren't good for you -- just not the hydrogen cyanide. I have doubts about the effectiveness of HEPA and activated carbon filters: the former remove particles, not gaseous chemicals, and the later trap organic stuff, but I doubt they do it to an extent that makes a difference. I am a big fan of venting to the outside.
cvoinescu

Postby JLG » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm a little curious about this: the hole in the extruder is much larger the the PTFE tubing in the J-Head, will this cause the 1.75mm filament to jam? If so, wtf, and how do I stop it?
Attachments
image.jpg
JLG

Postby cvoinescu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:49 pm

I can't really tell from that image -- is the set screw that holds the PTFE tubing down installed?

I have the same slight orifice size disparity, and it causes no problems. The hole in my PTFE tube is chamfered, which helps guide the filament in when loading it. Once it's in, you're good. It won't jam just because the filament has a little wiggle room.
cvoinescu

Postby JLG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:17 am

cvoinescu wrote:I'm not worried about hydrogen cyanide. I know it's the stuff of Agatha Christie murders and suicide capsules, so it sounds deadly, but you already ingest and make more of it in your body, as part of normal diet and metabolism, than the printer makes. In tiny quantities, it is completely innocuous. That said, there are things in ABS, and, to a lesser extent, PLA, that aren't good for you -- just not the hydrogen cyanide. I have doubts about the effectiveness of HEPA and activated carbon filters: the former remove particles, not gaseous chemicals, and the later trap organic stuff, but I doubt they do it to an extent that makes a difference. I am a big fan of venting to the outside.

I appreciate the recommendation, but it's not a very suitable option for me, the only place I have to put the thing is in my living space in the second floor and it's exposed to wind, and therefore extreme temperature differences and back flow of air. I thought gas masks basically used a HEPA filter and a carbon filter hybrid, and they filter out everything. What can I adapt that would make the exhaust clean, other then a Hepa filter and carbon filter?
JLG

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot