ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: ORD Bot Hadron Inquiries - Help Appreciated

Postby JLG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 am

Dane wrote:The PCB end stops have three wires, Vcc, Gnd and Signal(out). The PCB end stops need to be powered hence the Vcc and Ground, which also provides high and low logic levels. I have never used an Azteeg X3 but looking at the wiring diagram it has three connectors, -, xmin(for example) and + which I would assume would equate to Gnd, signal( out), Vcc.

If you use a plain micro switch you just need signal and ground because the high logic level is provided by internal pull-ups in the Atmega micro controller. In Marlin firmware the pull-ups are enabled by default. If you use the PCB endstops you will need to disable the pull-ups in firmware (ENDSTOPPULLUPS).

Have a look at Airtrippers excellent Marlin guide:-
http://airtripper.com/1145/marlin-firmw ... -up-guide/

Dane

Alright so I took a further look into this, and I'm not sure why I need to / what I'd comment out to disable ENDSTOPPULLUPS. You seem to be well-versed in the matter, could you enlighten me please?
JLG

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:39 am

Don't worry about the ENDSTOPPULLUPS. They're redundant with three-wire endstops, true, but they don't hurt anything.
cvoinescu

Postby JLG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Okay, but none of my Endstops work, I don't see any reaction in the serial window in Arduino IDE when they're pressed, and in the Repeatier Host window (after a bunch of fiddling around in marlin with the Endstops), it doesn't react at all, or it says the Endstops are always being triggered. Any ideas? I have them wired up same as in the previous posts, and I have max and min PCB Endstops.
JLG

Postby flickerfly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:23 pm

You may find it helpful to know about M119 and that you can enter this G-Code manually into the Repetier "Manual Control" tab to check the state of your endstops. It may speed up testing. If they are always on, could the wiring or the code be inverted. I suppose if they are blocked it would show off, but I haven't used anything but mechanical end stops.

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M119:_Get_Endstop_Status
flickerfly

Postby JLG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm

flickerfly wrote:You may find it helpful to know about M119 and that you can enter this G-Code manually into the Repetier "Manual Control" tab to check the state of your endstops. It may speed up testing. If they are always on, could the wiring or the code be inverted. I suppose if they are blocked it would show off, but I haven't used anything but mechanical end stops.

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M119:_Get_Endstop_Status

So it doesn't return anything at all when I enter that code through repetier or Arduino IDE, it just hangs there and says "Reporting endstop status". What am I doing wrong?
JLG

Postby flickerfly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Huh, I've not ever seen that, but I'd start by looking at the firmware to see if the pins for endstops are setup correctly. The only thing I can imagine causing that is the firmware thinking it doesn't have any endstops at all. Maybe the firmware is setup with all endstops turned off?
flickerfly

Postby JLG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:27 pm

flickerfly wrote:Huh, I've not ever seen that, but I'd start by looking at the firmware to see if the pins for endstops are setup correctly. The only thing I can imagine causing that is the firmware thinking it doesn't have any endstops at all. Maybe the firmware is setup with all endstops turned off?

Actually I clicked one of the buttons at the bottom, and not it shows returns "x_min: open" when I do it. still doesn't register that the switch is being hit, though. I tried looking into pins.h and made a few changes there, but so far what seems to have worked for everybody else hasn't worked for me. I've even tried shorting out the 2 combinations of wires and bypassing the switch completely and still just returns "open" when I enter M119. I'm getting really frustrated at this now.
JLG

Postby flickerfly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Oh, yeah, you can change what you see in Repetier. :-) Good catch!

At our hackerspace, the RAMPs board for the RepRap we have had some problems with it. I think it was open solder joints. If that's your problem though it would seem odd that it would be on all the end stops, but maybe that is worth checking on.
flickerfly

Postby JLG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 pm

flickerfly wrote:Oh, yeah, you can change what you see in Repetier. :-) Good catch!

At our hackerspace, the RAMPs board for the RepRap we have had some problems with it. I think it was open solder joints. If that's your problem though it would seem odd that it would be on all the end stops, but maybe that is worth checking on.

Nah, can't be that, there's a signle wire going from all the endstops right back to the board. I am using these connectors which I thought may have been the problem, but like I said I removed the wires from them and shorted them out manually, so even if those were causing a problem, they aren't the main problem. I'll include pics of them for visual
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
JLG

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:01 pm

JLG wrote:Nah, can't be that, there's a signle wire going from all the endstops right back to the board. I am using these connectors which I thought may have been the problem, but like I said I removed the wires from them and shorted them out manually, so even if those were causing a problem, they aren't the main problem.

He's saying the board itself was bad (had a dry solder joint).
cvoinescu

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot