NEWBE with ORD Hadron Project

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

NEWBE with ORD Hadron Project

Postby joeblow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:27 pm

I just bought the following on E-Bay:

This is a partially assembled ORD Bot 3D printer. The mechanical kit is one of Bart Dring's first batch of 100 and is completely assembled. The XYZ stepper motors are wired. This is a great build for someone who wants to finish up the last few steps and start printing.

What's included:
ORD Bot 3D printer kit (assembled)
RAMPS 1.4 electronics with SDRamps (4 drivers, installed with Marlin firmware)
QU-BD - MBE Extruder V9 (assembled and installed with heater cartridge)
RepRap Heatbed MK2 PCB
MakerBot - Red ABS 1kg Spool of 1.75mm Filament
3 Mechanical Endstops
Modified 12V ATX power supply

What's left to do:
The heatbed, extruder, and endstops need to be wired up to the RAMPS
Extruder needs to be mounted (I placed it on the gantry for the photo, it should be parallel)
Heatbed needs to mounted (spacers and wingnuts included)
Endstops need to be mounted

I am planning on printing in ABS, Nylon and perhaps Delrin (I plan on making filament myself in the future for Delrin) parts that are NOT super complex but do need to be well printed as they will be subjected to loads. The parts will be rather bulky say 2"/3"/3" and simple shapes like cylinders, blocks etc....

I would love an expert overview of what I have and need and/or should change/upgrade based on my intended use. I have a computer ready to go (on Linux right now but can be W98' if need be). I do like the card reader option. I also plan on reviewing the frame and perhaps adding some structural reinforcement as needed to stiffen up the ORD Bot which I will make available if it looks like it is of value as open source.

My background is in Motorsports and Aviation and as such I have used the services of many CNC shops but never have done much myself. I am fairly computer literate and have built a few systems. I have done a lot of design including complete engine assemblies and injection systems for high end racing cars. I love to tinker and make things work as best they can.

Thanks in advance for your input!
joeblow

Re: NEWBE with ORD Hadron Project

Postby rickmellor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:01 pm

That sounds like a good start. I'd recommend upgrading the extruder / hotend. The Qu-Bd MBE has a lot of problems managing heat and the primary fix for it involves adding a PTFE liner that will not hold up to the heats required for Nylon / Acetal. I have, and recommend:

E3D Hotend: http://e3d-online.com/ourshop/prod_2781 ... usion.html This thing is all metal and can handle the heat. I'm using mine for ABS at the moment and it's been flawless.

EZStruder: http://shop.seemecnc.com (their site seems to be down for maintenance today)

Bart posted some mounts yesterday for using this setup, and I posted a few days ago a dual extruder mount for the same.

The only other thing that you need to do is get off Windows 98! That crap came out 15 years ago! Sure, SR2 was pretty stable but nobody tests with it so you're rolling the dice getting software to work on it. Upgrade to Windows 7, or Windows 8.1 (not Windows 8) and you'll be good. I haven't tried Linux (shame on me) but it's likely that it'll work just fine ... assuming you're not running kernel version 1.2 or something similarly ancient. :P
rickmellor

Postby joeblow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks for the link (second one still down). On the first link they have a Bowden version, is that worth doing while i am at it?

I have not intentionally owned a Windows computer in 10+ years, I have been on Ubuntu Linux (my whole family is as well). I would love to NOT have to change that to run the printer unless I am setting myself up for way to much headache. I have W7 on my laptop as a dual boot if I ever need to use it (last time I booted it up was over a year ago).

What about the RAMPS? I guess this is going to be the idiot question but I do still need an Arduino as well correct or is this all-in-one? I will need a printer cord and software for the PC or just use an SD card which I guess I have with this RAMPS being that is says it had SDRamps on it? What about the little screens?

Thanks!
joeblow

Postby cozmicray » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm

RAMPS 1.4 electronics with SDRamps (4 drivers, installed with Marlin firmware)

"with Marlin firmware" --- arduino holds the firmware NOT RAMPS
If your electronics is a stack -- RAMPS on top of arduino Mega your all set
RAMPS is an arduino shield with hardware to drive motors and heaters

http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

Use Repetier-Host on desktop -- there is a linux edition

Hot end -- "ABS, Nylon and perhaps Delrin"
Going to have to use high hot end temps
So look for all metal extruder and perhaps extra cooling on mechanics

Get an extra hotend --- NO solvents for some of those polymers
so you can still print while you are de-gooing you print head from a print
gone arrye
cozmicray

Postby rickmellor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Store is back up: http://shop.seemecnc.com/EZStruder-Cold ... -70780.htm

I personally wouldn't start out with a bowden setup, but you certainly can. If you don't start with it you can always upgrade later.
rickmellor

Postby joeblow » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:30 am

Thank you all for you input. I have built a PC to run the printer and am now moving on to the set-up of the printer. I am a little concerned about hooking everything up for the fire up and would like to do a systems test first to make sure all the componants not assembed by me are infact working. Is there a bare bones set-up I can start with? What are your suggestions?
joeblow

Postby joeblow » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:49 am

Another question is that since I have a PC driving the printer I am wondering if I cant just use some unused power off the power supply to run the printer. The PC is very basic so there is not a lot of power draw in there. I have a PC power supply ready to go to power the printer but it does seem a little redundant. Thoughts?

I have a MK2 heated bed and am wondering, some say they print right on it and others use glass or tape. What is the concensus on this?

One 'Z' screw is stiff and binding, the other is tight but seems OK, should I run a tap through the stiff side or just let it go. I am worried I will burn up the motor. It is difficult to turn it by hand even with no weight on it.
joeblow

Postby cvoinescu » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 am

Stepper motors don't burn out like that -- they draw about the same amount of power whether stationary or moving, and they don't mind being stalled briefly. That said, the screw should turn easily by hand. If it doesn't, chances are your Z axis won't work properly.

As far as I know, there is no consensus on the bed. Glass is flatter but heats up slower, is not free, and needs to be mounted somehow; kapton tape may stick better and protects your bed, but takes some work to apply.

I would not power the printer from the same supply as the PC. You don't know how the supply behaves with a 10-12 A load switching on and off at 7 Hz, and the stepper drivers generate a lot of electrical noise, so better stay safe and keep those separate from the PC.
cvoinescu

Postby Digitalmagic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 am

cvoinescu wrote:I would not power the printer from the same supply as the PC. You don't know how the supply behaves with a 10-12 A load switching on and off at 7 Hz, and the stepper drivers generate a lot of electrical noise, so better stay safe and keep those separate from the PC.

+1
And bed heating does not require PWM (7hz), but if so, it is better to low-passfilter it with a large cap to average the voltage, lessening potential interferences.
A good practice is to avoid the "one-for-all" power supply.
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby joeblow » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks for the input on the all-for-one PS. I will keep them separate.

What is the minimum I need to hook up to the RAMPS 1.4/Mega setup to get it to power up and be able to connect to the PC? I just want to take baby steps until I know what I have. The wiring diagrams are all for a full set-up and I have yet to find the minimum required option.

I am running a Linux PC with RepitierHost for Linux on it if that makes a difference?

My chassis was pre-assembled and was not drilled for internal wiring. I am not sure I care either way but want to get some input on this, whether or not it is worth it to pull it back apart and drill it or not. I was looking at plastic chain guides for the external wiring is that is what I do.
joeblow

Next

Return to ORD Bot