Jammer's Ord Hadron build - Help Appreciated

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Jammer's Ord Hadron build - Help Appreciated

Postby jammer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 am

After reading through a number of threads on the sourcing for parts I have decided to just save my pennies and pick up a reprapdiscount mechanicals kit. It just seems like a logical decision that will save money and time. I also really like that he pays a great royalty. I am always amazed at how much work people put into designing things and then selflessly put it out there for others to build.

My plan so far:

- Ord Bot Hadron kit from reprapdiscount. (anyone know if we have to pay some sort of import tax or anything?

- Wade's Reloaded extruder from MakerGeeks. Sent a message to him asking about selling me the full kit without the hot end.

- E3D-v5 hotend with a .35 tip

- Azteeg X3 3DP Reprap Controller from panucatt.com

- ViKi LCD - Control Panel Interface from panucatt.com (on backorder so hopefully they will get more in sometime soon)

- Mk1 heated bed from MakerFarm (read the note on MakerFarm site about the hole in the Mk2 affecting the ability to heat uniformly across the bed. Is this really an issue?)

A few questions about buying the Azteeg from Panucatt. Should I get the optional 5pc stepper drivers from them as well? Same question for the end stops & thermisters? Last question is on the type of connector to order, screw terminal, Vertical header or the right angle header.

I am sure there will be other upgrades I will do after I get the initial build completed. I would prefer to print off an SD card rather than have to control it with a dedicated PC.

Any other recommendations that I should consider from the start?

Thanks,
Troy
Last edited by jammer on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jammer

Re: Jammer's Ord Hadron build

Postby jammer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:05 pm

I made a lot of progress on getting most of the stuff ordered this week. I will start a build log when the first items arrive.

What I have ordered:
- Ord mechanicals kit from RRP. I guess I will see what color it is when it gets here.
- E3D-V5 hotend with .4mm tip
- two of the Wades Reloaded kits from MakerGeeks (one as a spare or future dual extruder setup)
- Azteed X3 & ViKi LCD controller from Panucatt
- Helios heated bed from Panucatt
- Shielded wire for Steppers from Inventables (may use for limit switches as well)
- Braided wire sleeving for making everything look nice from Inventables
-Various hardware
--Extrusion nuts from inventables
--Springs from McMaster to mount heated bed
--M5 screws from McMaster

EDIT: Forgot to ask what power supply(s) would you recommend?

Not sure how RRP does it but I ordered the Ord mechanicals kit late late friday evening and it is due to be delivered tomorrow by noon. He must work next to the FedEx terminal in HK.

The Azteeg X3 still shows on backorder with a note that they were supposed to start shipping by Sep 20th. How reliable is Panucatt on their shipping estimates?

I feel like a 5 year old that can't wait for Christmas to get here.

I was hoping to use a spare Macbook Pro to control the Ord Bot. Any recommendations on a software/firmware combo?

Thanks,
Troy
jammer

Re: Jammer's Ord Hadron build - Help Appreciated

Postby jammer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:56 am

Ok,

Received the Ord Bot mechanicals kit from RRP today. Everything looked like it survived shipping just fine. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Not sure if these are the latest Z-Axis nut blocks or not:

NutBlock.JPG

The nut blocks look like they are machined out of aluminum. There is definitely play in them. The screw was a just barely tight when I first screwed it in but after the first 1" or so it really was what I would call fairly loose to where the screw was able to wiggle a little inside the nut block. It is enough that when I pull or push the screw, I can feel it move a small amount up or down along the z-axis. Is this normal? If it isn't what do I do about it. I have seen on here that some guys have a nut block that looks like it was printed and has a different look to it.

The other thing that I can see that would be handy is a small machinist square.

Thanks,
Troy
jammer

Postby cvoinescu » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 pm

That is not the latest design. The latest has two pieces, one threaded and with a long arm that slides in the T-slot of the vertical MakerSlide, and one with a larger hole that is attached to the gantry. The gantry simply rests on the nut.

The vertical play is of no consequence -- gravity gives you enough preload to avoid backlash from that.
cvoinescu

Postby jammer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:46 pm

That is kinda what I figured after looking through some of the other threads. I think I am just going to take this thing completely apart and follow the assembly instructions from the Wiki. I appreciate the preassembly that RRP did but I also understand that I did not pay to have it calibrated so it will be good for me to take it apart and get it put back together with the time that RRP doesn't have to give it by selling it at a good price. I have ordered a small engineer's square that should be here in a couple of days.

I also noticed that a few of my nylon V-wheel spacers were tightened so much that they have deformed and are now holding the v-wheel at a slight angle. I ordered the stainless steel spacers from McMaster Carr.

I don't suppose there is anyone printing and selling the new Z-Axis nut mounts and guides. It would be handy to have them when I build it back up rather than get it assembled with the current ones and then try to calibrate it enough to print the new style.

Thanks,
Troy
jammer

Postby rickmellor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:03 am

You can get by with this older design z-nut for now. What I did was loosen the screws holding the z-nuts on a bit so that there was a bit of play in order to prevent over-constraining the z-axis lead screws. This will work well enough to get you going and you can then print out the newer design floating z stabilizer upgrades.
rickmellor

Postby jammer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:40 am

Thanks Rick. Loosening the screws sounds like a good plan. Just got my new McMaster stainless spacers in today so I started building everything from the ground up. Hoping that the controller gets here sometime soon.
jammer

Postby flickerfly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm curious what that braided wire sleeving looks like on the Ord Bot.

Once you get printing, print the Z-mod and it'll be good. Your kit may have the older motor mounts which were just thinner and more likely to bend unded belt pressure so some kits thickened the mounts on Z. If that is a problem, there are alternate mounts that flurin made that you can print.
flickerfly

Postby jammer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:43 am

flickerfly wrote:I'm curious what that braided wire sleeving looks like on the Ord Bot.

Once you get printing, print the Z-mod and it'll be good. Your kit may have the older motor mounts which were just thinner and more likely to bend unded belt pressure so some kits thickened the mounts on Z. If that is a problem, there are alternate mounts that flurin made that you can print.

I got the idea for braided sleeving after reading Oli's Hadron Build thread in the Build Logs section. Here is a link to the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1620&p=18631&hilit=wiring+ord#p18631

I don't think there is any way I can get mine to look as good as Oli's but I will try.
jammer

Postby jammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 am

Received my X3 controller in and trying to figure out what microstepping to set the stepper controllers to. Is there a reason not to set 1/32? So far in reading through various threads I have noticed that quite a few others have set their microstepping to 1/16. Is there a reason to use one over the other?
jammer

Next

Return to ORD Bot