Slicer Software Options

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Slicer Software Options

Postby flickerfly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:19 pm

So why did you choose the slicer software you use? I use Slic3r because it comes with Repetier. I expect there is more to be heard in this area. Skeinforge for example is compatible, but what do I gain/lose in using it? Should I bother?

Am I starting a religious holy war comparable to asking what linux distribution to use?
flickerfly

Re: Slicer Software Options

Postby cvoinescu » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:54 pm

I started with Skeinforge, found that it did what I needed, and stopped searching. Not the most scientific method, I admit. :)
cvoinescu

Postby flickerfly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:11 pm

:-) Yeah, that's about where I'm at just switch Skeinforge for Slic3r.
flickerfly

Postby nixtacy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:16 am

I started with Repetier and really like how it worked with the default Slicer. It works fast enough for me in slicing.

At one point I wanted to switch, so I tried using Cura and have never been successful with it. It refuses to connect to my Panucatt X3 controller. I've tried loading Cura's firmware after modding as well to no avail.

So I've gone back to Repetier Host, using Slic3r with 8 different 'settings'. 4 with support, 4 with out, and 4 different layer thicknesses. So I can pretty much click, slice, and print. Could not be too much easier.
nixtacy

Postby Digitalmagic » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am

Host program to control your printer, and g-code generation using slicing software are not linked together.
Repetier can be loaded with gcode, produced externally.

I just use Repetier-Host to control bed & extruder heating and to home before printing.
Got my gcode from different slicers, and always print from SD card, more efficient, IMHO.

Next step is to get rid of Repetier-Host by using a control panel.
Human has 20 nail ... extruders.
Digitalmagic

Postby flickerfly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Digitalmagic wrote:Got my gcode from different slicers, and always print from SD card, more efficient, IMHO.

Do you use Repetier-Host to load up the SD card with data while it is on the machine or do you handle that in another way?

How do you decide which slicers to use for g-code generation? Are certain ones better at one thing or another?
flickerfly

Postby movlw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 pm

A while back I switched pretty much completely to Kisslicer. I've never been able to print things that fit together using Slic3r without printing, measuring and reediting the designs to make them fit.
On my first try with Kisslicer the test objects fit perfectly. https://plus.google.com/106582723758544 ... 6xjjDSujGJ

It's not perfect for everything but I find it very good for most designs I've thrown at it so far. Well worth a try.
movlw

Postby Digitalmagic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:23 pm

flickerfly wrote:
Digitalmagic wrote:Got my gcode from different slicers, and always print from SD card, more efficient, IMHO.

Do you use Repetier-Host to load up the SD card with data while it is on the machine or do you handle that in another way?
How do you decide which slicers to use for g-code generation? Are certain ones better at one thing or another?

After producing the gcode file (on a W7 x64 desktop), I just mount the SD and copy the ".g" onto it.
After plugging the SD into the Ramps slot, I home, then "print from SD" using Repetier-Host, after extruder/bed temperatures are stable.
Before homing I extruder some centimeters to get a well loaded nozzle.

I never use raft or automatic support, designing my own breakable support.
The layer 0 must be perfect, conditioning a good print and a nice look on the flat side.

Results are beyond the sole choice of a given slicer, their parameters unveils different way of handling the slicing.
Having parts fitting together can be material related, design related, and printing conditions related, IMHO.
Digitalmagic

Postby flickerfly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks DigitalMagic. It is interesting to see your workflow. Are you printing lots of the same parts on an as needed type basis?

Is there an advantage to manually moving the SD card rather than loading it up while it is still on the printer? I've not done either at this point so have no idea how it all works.
flickerfly

Postby Digitalmagic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:16 pm

flickerfly wrote:Thanks DigitalMagic. It is interesting to see your workflow. Are you printing lots of the same parts on an as needed type basis?

Is there an advantage to manually moving the SD card rather than loading it up while it is still on the printer? I've not done either at this point so have no idea how it all works.
It happens to print the same part in different colors.
I think serie printing, or massive printing, could require many printers,IMHO, or lot of patience... frustration when a several hours long print job fails!

In my own configuration, it could seem to be faster this way.
Would like to try a wifi SD, if it is possible to write a file onto the SD by remote wifi.
Digitalmagic

Next

Return to ORD Bot