Intro - 3D Noob - Hadron build

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Intro - 3D Noob - Hadron build

Postby Merfman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Yea, the MINTEMP error just shuts down the board. I can control it through the smart card interface but Pronterface
will have none of making anything move.

The smart display, if I remember correctly, says the board temp is 0.0 (not even room temp) - I got this on the
display even as the voltage read 4.77 on one of the thermistor pins. I also think I read somewhere that shorting
the leads together simulated a MAXTEMP error and should make the display change... briefly shorting the thermistor
did nothing that I could tell...
Merfman

Postby fma » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Ok, so you have a continuous wrong temp reading.

Are your sure you compiled the firmware with the correct input for the thermistor? Or are your using the correct conversion function? don't use any table at first; try a generic 100k thermistor config...

Also try to connect a pure 100k resistor instead of the thermistor.
Frédéric
fma

Postby Merfman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Yes, I believe I have a continuous bad reading. I've checked the voltage on the pins with and without the thermistor
connected and all measurements appear to be close enough.

I've compiled the firmware but they key is "correct input for the thermistor" - I've done the following:
TEMP_SENSOR_0 = 0 ; result: Compile errors with undefined params
TEMP_SENSOR_0 = -1; result: MAXTEMP error
TEMP_SENSOR_0 = 1; result: MINTEMP error

I'll try it with a standard resistor tonight, thanks for the hint!
Merfman

Postby Merfman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Ran a really quick test last night at the suggestion of Seadevil.. I swapped T0 and T1 at the board connectors.
This basically tells the system that the extruder thermistor is the HBP and the HBP thermistor is the hotend.
The printer initialized correctly and the "hotend" temp was 20-21 and the HBP temp was 0.0
Merfman

Postby Merfman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Found two problems that I hope will fix my remaining issues....
1) Broken thermistor - I've been looking at the wrong thermistor in all my debug. I thought it was the bed but turned out to be the hotend. Learning how to read the display... important.
2) Bad firmware value for the HBP - not sure why I didn't notice this before...

Thermistors on order, HBP is now heating as it should.... hope to print soon!
Merfman

Postby Merfman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Noob2NoobTip: The thermistor on the MK-V-BV are smaller than the normal Epcos 100K thermistors... the "standard" size won't fit in the thermistor hole.
Ordered the standard sizes twice now and am currently waiting on the "thermistor5" size from hotends.com... Brian has been great BTW...
Still standing by...
Merfman

Postby Merfman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:46 pm

SUCCESS! My parts came in on Friday. I spent all day on Saturday, taking care of the last few details and started
my first print around noon on Saturday and... wait for it... it worked! I first printed a small calibration cube that
measured 20x20x4 mm, my measurements were 19.9x19.9x4.2 or so... I'm pleased. I spent most of yesterday
printing hot-rod parts and really, learning about how the printer and slicer work together by watching the prints.

Here's the prints:
Z-Wobble arms:

Seadevil's spool holder:

Everything I was able to get done yesterday:

Noob2Noob tip: Ensure the bed is level, level, level! I was having some lifting/non-sticking issues. I releveled the bed, added painters tape and was
printing at 70c on the HBP and no more problems. I think I'll try printing sans tape to see if the bed leveling was the issue.

I'm having one last issue with my extruder. Occasionally, on layers 1-3 (raft being 0), the extruder acts like it's "loaded up" and
springs backward occasionally. Odd. I wondered if it was trying to extrude too quickly and played around with print speeds and
extruder temps but nothing made a lot of difference.
Merfman

Previous

Return to ORD Bot