Intro - 3D Noob - Hadron build

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Intro - 3D Noob - Hadron build

Postby jb92563 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:59 am

I got mine all assembled and running tonight after being frustrated with the software load.

When you load Arduino 023 software, and then the Marlin, which I put in another directory, it does not compile properly.

You have to copy the Marlin into the Arduino folders in the appropriate locations.

Then magically my LCD worked immediately.

I started playing with the controls and promptly broke the end stop switches when the carriage ran into them and snapped the little metal levers off.

Now I know why people are using the Hall Sensors instead, the mechanicals are too flimsy for this application.

The six magnets are for the Halls, 3 are spares.

Can anyone show me what the Marlin config for the Halls are and what wires go where on the leads.

I am not configuring the Hall properly in the software apparently or I wired it wrong.

I thought the VCC is red, gnd is black and signal is blue but that does not seem to work when plugged in to the endstops on the ramps board.

I'll be installing all the Halls endstops now that all 3 mechnicals are broken.
jb92563

Postby Merfman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:56 pm

jb92563 wrote:I got mine all assembled and running tonight after being frustrated with the software load.

When you load Arduino 023 software, and then the Marlin, which I put in another directory, it does not compile properly.

You have to copy the Marlin into the Arduino folders in the appropriate locations.

Then magically my LCD worked immediately.

I started playing with the controls and promptly broke the end stop switches when the carriage ran into them and snapped the little metal levers off.

Now I know why people are using the Hall Sensors instead, the mechanicals are too flimsy for this application.

The six magnets are for the Halls, 3 are spares.

Can anyone show me what the Marlin config for the Halls are and what wires go where on the leads.

I am not configuring the Hall properly in the software apparently or I wired it wrong.

I thought the VCC is red, gnd is black and signal is blue but that does not seem to work when plugged in to the endstops on the ramps board.

I'll be installing all the Halls endstops now that all 3 mechnicals are broken.

I haven't taken a look at the software load-up yet, thanks for the heads-up. What do you mean by "in the appropriate location"?
I'll be watching closely on any updates for the endstop connections, your color code assumptions are exactly what mine are...

I made a little progress last night. I fabbed up some plexiglass mounts for my arduino and smart controller. They're
not very cool looking, or square for that matter, but they do get the boards up where I can see them, wire to them,
and hopefully not hit them with the Z-axis! Here are a couple of crappy pics...

Hoping to be able to get the endstop and motor wiring completed in the next few days. Got email that my Wade's extruder
is inbound and my hotend arrived last Friday... then I get to unravel it's installation mystery!

Looking forward to some opinions/reasons why JB's endstops got whacked!
Merfman

Postby jb92563 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Endstop frustrations !!!!

I am trying to get the reprapdiscount Hall endstops to function and I have tried every way of wiring I could think of to the RRD Ramps1.4 and nothing works.

I have given up on them for now and found some plain non circuit board type NO switches (2 wire) and have wired them up and of course they are so simple that they just plain work.

I'll be getting the last one mounted to the Y axis this evening and move forward with the extruder and hotplate install.

I need to get printing to make some of the improvements and a better extruder mount.

can anyone help with the RRD Hall endstop wiring?

The Ramps has 3 pins Signal, Gnd, Vcc.
The RRD Hall has +5v, Gnd, Stop, Signal. However the pin header only includes the +5v, Gnd, Stop.

I naturally tried to wire it with Ramps/Hall like this Vcc/+5v Gnd/Gnd Signal/Stop and it did not work.

Then I tried in the Config.h with the Endstop Pullups disabled in the software, then with tried Inverting the Endstop with and without pullups etc and checked each time with the Arduino Serial Monitor and Using the M119 command to report endstop status.

I even tried using the unpinned Signal line on the Hall but no joy.

What could I be missing?

Appropriate locations means
From the unzipped Marlin and installed Arduino folders:

1) Copy \Marlinv1\Marlin to \arduino023
2) Copy \Marlin_v1\ArduinoAddons\Arduino_0.xx\libraries to \arduino023\libraries
3) Rename \arduino023\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdud.conf to \arduino023\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdud.conf_orig
4) Copy \Marlin_v1\ArduinoAddons\Arduino_0.xx\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdud.conf to \arduino023\hardware\tools\avr\etc
Last edited by jb92563 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb92563

Postby StigOE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Are you sure the magnets are the correct way? Some hallswitches only react to one magnet pole, so try to turn the magnet and see if you get any more reaction.
StigOE

Postby Merfman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Noob-to-Noob tip #1: Everything you buy will be a mystery. My extruder arrived in the mail yesterday. I now have a hotend and an extruder.
And no idea what hardware, mount or assembly process I need... LOL. The extruder arrived in a bag. 4 parts, not even a picture of the
finished assembled product.... I now understand this as the norm, but as a noob when I first started, I didn't... livin' and learnin'...

I should have added this earlier, sorry: There's a link to a great PDF that shows a step x step procedure for assembly. Included in that
are also the parts I'll need... the link comes up as a direct link to the PDF file so I can't figure out how to linky so google "wades extruder
plastibot" and look for the PDF link!
Merfman

Postby jb92563 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I did try every combination to make the Halls work including magnet polarity (both ends) distance and the side of the sensor.

In the mean time I used simple contact switches and now I have working endstops.

I have set up my X,Y,Z axis home (0,0,0) to be the left front corner of the hotplate with the z at the surface of the plate.

Is 0 on the Z axis supposed to be at the plate level so positive distance is UP above the plate?

Where is a good source to get more of those Makerslide threaded bolt plates that go in the channels?

I'm wishing I had a dozen extra for attaching wiring holders, power supply attachments etc.

I do have some steel, aluminum or copper alloy (Penny coins, but don't tell the feds I'm destroying currency) I could make my own and tap them with threads, but if they are cheap I'd just as soon focus my time on other aspects of the build.

This weekend I'll mount and wire the extruder/hotend and hotplate.

Perhaps do my first test print.

I'll need to take some pictures/video to liven up the posts.
jb92563

Postby cvoinescu » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 pm

jb92563 wrote:Is 0 on the Z axis supposed to be at the plate level so positive distance is UP above the plate?

Yes.

jb92563 wrote:Where is a good source to get more of those Makerslide threaded bolt plates that go in the channels?

Misumi make and sell them, but it's a bit of a pain to order from them. They come in bags of 100. They're part number HNKK5-5 for M5 thread, HNKK5-4 for M4, or HNKK5-3 for M3. Inventables sell them in smaller quantities, and it's much easier to order from them. If you're in Europe, I have them too.

jb92563 wrote:I do have some steel, aluminum or copper alloy (Penny coins, but don't tell the feds I'm destroying currency)

If you have an aluminum penny, you're lucky. Only about a dozen still exist. Most old pennies are indeed a copper alloy, but those made after 1982 are copper-plated zinc.
cvoinescu

Postby jb92563 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:14 pm

My Hadron is nearly complete.

After mulling over some temporary ways of attaching the Extruder Stepper/EZstruder/J Hotend until I could print a nice mount, I ended up using a metal hose clamp around the Nema17 and found that everything is so firmly attached and rigid that it will likely be permanent as I don't think additional brackets will make it any more secure.

What I like about it is that it leaves everything in the open for maximum heat disipation and the Nema is firmly held against the Metal carriage which will also help heat dissipation even further. Simple, easy and effective.
I did have to cut some of the aluminum carriage for the J-Hotend to poke out the bottom and it only protrudes 20mm below the carriage so I have also maximized my Z-axis range.

I did a dry print run of a test cube and found everything to be working perfectly.

It think I have to calibrate the "Pronterface" bed center as it shows the cube printing in the center of the bed but its actual location on the printer was towards the rear of the bed.

Put some lithium lube on the Z screws and they have quieted down and are running quite smoothly now.

I just have to attach the Hot bed, level it and set the zero on the Z-axis and I'm ready for printing.

I'll take some pictures/video this evening to show how I attached the extruder to the X carriage.

I also have to determine where the little fan that came with the RRDiscount Ramps1.4, to cool the electronics, plugs in ???
jb92563

Postby Merfman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:34 pm

jb, while doing some wiring last night, I had a thought (rare!) - Did you check the VCC/GND connections to your endstops to ensure you're getting both? That might
explain why both PCB related endstops didn't work but the mechanical ones do...

I was able to get my wiring temporarily connected last night:

Next up is the extruder assembly. I found Makergeeks has a "kit" (please supply a link on the page for the Wades Extruder for us noobs!) While I'm waiting for the delivery of the
hardware, I need to add a switch to my supply and get a few other things cleaned up and have a few questions:

1) In the box there were 5 heat-sinks that I assume are for the motor drivers, any recommendations for how to attach them? There was a bit of double-sided tape in the kit but that
doesn't seem right...

2) Kapton tape... where does one get that?

Any suggestions for moving forward in a non-clumsy do things 4 times methodology is appreciated!
Merfman

Postby flickerfly » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Looking good! :-)

If the double sided tape is thermally capable, that'll work just fine. That's what my heat sinks are attached with.

I haven't used Kapton tape at all for my build. I've used blue painter's tape for the bed and most recently Elmer's school glue stick which works even better (and very economical). I used some heat sink compound for the thermistor in the j-head and haven't even put any kapton around that. I've contemplated using some felt wrapped around the j-head to help its consistency, but I haven't really noticed a problem with that at this point.

Something to look at, make sure your belts don't have any movemente in the belt clamps, even just a little. One of the first things you'll want to print is a bracket for the Z-axis to rest on to prevent z-wobble and just make the Z easier to maintain. I'm using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42658. It actually was part of the ATI kit, but it's the same thing. There are a few other options on thingiverse also.

Also, make sure your extrusions are all squared up.

When you go to run the holes in the extrusion, I suggest a drill press and the ones that are off center are hard to get cleanly. Mine are messy, but they are hidden so it isn't a big deal. Once I did that it really cleaned things up.
flickerfly

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot