Hadron Enclosure Ideas?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Hadron Enclosure Ideas?

Postby flickerfly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm playing with lots of ideas for an enclosure for my Ord Bot. I'm wondering if any of you have built one and if you have learned a few things worth sharing.

Things I'm thinking about:
  • Easy access to all sides, or removable
  • Stability, the bot shouldn't shift when transporting
  • Noise dampening
  • Visibility, the kids should be able to watch
  • Size, I don't want it huge since I need to be able to find a place to put it
flickerfly

Re: Hadron Enclosure Ideas?

Postby Merfman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 pm

I had an idea but that's about it. I'm thinking of just building a plexiglass box that has an
open ended bottom and a handle on top so it could be easily removed and replaced. I toyed around with
making some printable brackets that would make assembly easy and came up with crude inside/outside
corner pieces that would be bolted together... unfortunately I don't have much for details at this point...
watching to see what the collective has to add!
Merfman

Postby jb92563 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:45 pm

What would the function of the box be?

-Keep the cat/dog/spouse/kids out of the machinery
-Muffle the noise of stalled steppers
-Increase the temperature of the printing environment
-Make the shape of the system more appropriate for storage and stacking
-Keep the printing environment clean/contain the mess
-Make it look more expensive

I was looking at a cardboard box for #4
However thinking a bit more about the subject, a 3D printer is like a toaster so perhaps its place is permanently out in the open, but not being a food processing machine the Coffee table is also good place for it, but it needs a flat top so you can leave magazines, glasses etc on it and for aesthetics maybe it needs a fancy printed cover to make it look more artsy when not being used. :lol:

Hey, you could put it IN/Under the coffee table like this
jb92563

Objectives

Postby flickerfly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Good question jb92563.

My primary objective is more dependable/predictable environmental conditions. I'm told I'll get better ABS and PLA results. The room I have it in is drafty and I've not been getting the same results this winter that I had over the summer so I want to be able to tune it once and not have to adjust as the seasons change.

I'd also like to contain the stuff that seems to get to my sinuses while printing and keep the kids from getting their noses burnt when watching, although I suppose they'd learn that lesson after the first touch. The noise isn't a big deal, but quieter would be a plus.

The idea of building it into furniture is not without its appeal. :-)
flickerfly

Postby jb92563 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:52 pm

3d Printer in a coffee table under glass would certainly be fascinating coffee table material for company.

"...no spoon for your tea?...hold on a tick while I print one out for you... would you like your initials embossed on it...of course you would..." :D
jb92563

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:07 pm

I'd do a base out of 3/4" MDF with an outer slot for acrylic panels to drop into, and appropriate indents to contain the feet of the machine. Make the sides and top keyed to attach together as one unit using slots and tabs, and the (optional) front magnet in place.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby flickerfly » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:26 pm

TLHarrell, sounds like we have similar lines of thought on this. I'm also thinking of a drawer somewhere.
flickerfly

Postby fma » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm

PMMA enclosure would look great!
Frédéric
fma

Postby jammer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:38 am

I think I have decided for several reasons to go ahead with an enclosure project for my Hadron. One of the biggest factors for me is the inconsistent cooling rates for different sections of larger prints with higher fill rates. I have been getting what looks like layer separation/cracking on the corners of some of the taller prints. The other issue is to control the ABS fumes. I hope others can chime in with their opinions as I haven't fully developed the design. What I think I have decided:

1. Build walls, floor, top out of 3/4"ish true baltic birch
2. Door constructed of a frame of Baltic birch with a somewhat large plexi window
3. Can line the inside with 1/4" rigid insulation if needed

leaning towards:
1. Using temp controller : http://www.amazon.com/Elitech-All-Purpo ... controller

2. old hair dryer to bring up to temp, relay if needed
3. initial target temp of 50°C

Concerns:
1. Keeping motors cool enough. Open to individual ducting from outside air.
2. Keeping Azteeg X3 cool enough, can mount outside heated area if needed but it would be a PITA is needed due to rewiring.
3. somehow exhausting the ABS fumes after printing. Maybe through a close window and using flexible dryer duct with louvers.

I have a full woodshop at my disposal but I will fully admit that i am very new to 3d printing and would love to hear others suggestions.

Thoughts?
jammer

Postby fma » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:08 am

I think we can find an easier solution. What about a flexible stuff, hooked on the X arm? The idea is to have something moving up as the head goes up, like an accordion, covering the the sides of the bed.

The heat bed should be enough to maintain the temperature, and in fact, it just need some controlled opening to regulate it.

But I didn't find this accordion, so far!
Frédéric
fma

Return to ORD Bot