Lead Screw Upgrade

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Lead Screw Upgrade

Postby regressedEE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Misumi is running a special $150 off promotion through the end of March for first time customers. See this Reddit thread for details. I ordered the following parts to upgrade my Z-axis from threaded rods to lead screws:

MTSNR8: bronze lead screw nuts, 2 @$17.30 each
MTSBR8-245: 8mm leadscrews, 245mm in length, 2@$23.95 each

That gets you to about $80. Add some extrusions to make an enclosure (HFS2020), insertion nuts (HNKK5-5 or HNTAJ5-5) or whatever to get you up to $150. There is a nice knurled screw (ANKB3-25) that I am going to use with brnrd's z axis endstop so I don't have to mess with an allen wrench anymore. I also got some extrusion slot covers (HSCA5-B) to hide some of my cables.

Register (you can use your name as your company name) and don't forget to enter the promotion code "First150--Reddit" in the "Special Instructions" on the order. At the shapeoko forums, they are reporting that you will receive a confirmation email for the full amount but when your credit card is charged, you will be charged the reduced price. They don't tell you what shipping will be which is annoying, but it's reported to be reasonable.

I've modified the z lift blocks to accept the larger nut. I haven't tested it so it may need some adjustments:

leadscrew nut holder.stl
(162.07 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
regressedEE

Re: Lead Screw Upgrade

Postby canadianavenger » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 pm

You can also use "First150--BuildLog" as the discount code. A Misumi rep also came here and offered the same deal as on Reddit. I would use th buildlog code, as it may encourage them to come here and offer more deals like that if we generate enough interest.
canadianavenger

Postby regressedEE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 pm

canadianavenger wrote:You can also use "First150--BuildLog" as the discount code. A Misumi rep also came here and offered the same deal as on Reddit. I would use th buildlog code, as it may encourage them to come here and offer more deals like that if we generate enough interest.

D'oh! I didn't see that post. Has anyone else noticed that the "View Active Topics" link on the main forum page doesn't work right?
regressedEE

Postby Misumi_Brooke » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Canadianavenger -- you're onto us! :)

Yes, it's true, we are going to be offering future promotions and tailoring them to the communities that have used them most often. We've had such an awesome response from this, so the wheels are turning... ;)

canadianavenger wrote:You can also use "First150--BuildLog" as the discount code. A Misumi rep also came here and offered the same deal as on Reddit. I would use th buildlog code, as it may encourage them to come here and offer more deals like that if we generate enough interest.
Misumi_Brooke

Postby canadianavenger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 pm

hehe, well let's just say your discount code gave you away. I like the idea, and think it's a great way to interface with the communities that use your product... keep it up!
canadianavenger

Postby jammer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:07 am

Has anyone taken advantage of this offer. Seems to good to be true. I am a really skeptical person so it would be nice if someone actually could tell us they took advantage of the offer and didn't see a large shipping charge or something else. I have been looking for an upgrade for my lead screws since one of them is warped and neither of mine run really smooth. Before I saw this I was thinking about upgrading to either ACME 3/8" screws or saving up for ball screws.
jammer

Postby r691175002 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:21 am

I have used the deal with no surprises. Misumi has been a supplier for buildlog designs for many years and they are a large, reputable company.

f you are in Canada, the international shipping + tax + exchange rate can add up, but its not like they are adding anything that wouldn't otherwise be charged. Shipping really depends on the size of what you order. Extrusion can be a pain to ship.

Free stuff isn't as unusual when it comes to companies that supply engineers. Texas Instruments will give something like 30$ of free parts, shipped next day, completely for free, every month to any student no questions asked.
r691175002

Postby regressedEE » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:16 pm

@jammer: I received everything with no surprises. I had an order of about $150 and the total invoice was about $200. My credit card shows a charge for $50.

The leadscrews work like a charm. They even come pre-lubricated. I did have to change the design of the printed parts just a little -- see the attached file. I rotated the flat part of the nut to the top and used plastic posts instead of screws to make it more compact.

leadscrew nut holder.stl
(157.87 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times

On a side note, Misumi's customer service is superb -- I needed to change a part number after placing an order online and they took care of it over the phone with no questions.
regressedEE

Postby flickerfly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Oh, that'd been great. (checked calendar to make sure it isn't March, just in case)
flickerfly

Return to ORD Bot