Please have a look at this print please.

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Please have a look at this print please.

Postby Turbo442 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

I have a defect in the first 1/4" of this part I am having trouble understanding. You can see the area pointed out by the 2 black arrows. Is this caused by my first layer height being incorrect? My dimensions are really pretty spot on considering everything. My tolerances are +/- .020" for this part. This is a .480 pin gauge in the photo. The defect seems to work its way out after the first 1/4 inch of layers. As you can see the corners rolled up a bit. I solved this by replacing the capton tape and wiping it down with IPA. I do not believe the corners rolling up are related, but I could be wrong.

Current settings
Yellow ABS
Filament Dia 1.77
Extruder 240 /230
Bed 110/110
.4 nozzle
layer height .2
first layer height .30
Attachments
IMG_2244.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG
Turbo442

Re: Please have a look at this print please.

Postby orcinus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:54 am

Does that happen only on that part, on all parts; was it a one-off or did it happen multiple times?
Do you use a fan?
Does it happen with a different filament?
Have you tried increasing or reducing the temperature?
Have you tried a different slicer?

Possible scenarios:

1) the temperature is too high or too low - there is a zone along the Z axis in which the problem gets exacerbated by the convection from the build plate, after you leave it, the problem goes away

2) the filament sucks and doesn't extrude evenly

3) a fan causes the filament to "freeze", but for some reason only at certain heights (downwash from the bed, perhaps)

4) it's an artifact in the model itself or your slicer's interpretation of the model
orcinus

Postby secretgspot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:16 am

wow, most people would kill to have that quality. but I do see the problem, and like above me I am pushing towards deflected air-flow if you have the fan on. try without fan and see if same thing happens, or print skirt up to that height.
secretgspot

Postby Turbo442 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the reply Orcinus, I am traveling at the moment so no additional testing possible for a few days. The day I sent out this post I did some additional testing. I adjusted the first layer height % from 30 to 35. I also raised my z home position a smidge. This seemed to correct most of the issue. I agree that convection of heat from the heat bead can cause artifacts like this. I have to wonder if my layer height starts out of sync if it can take a bit to work its self out?

orcinus wrote:Does that happen only on that part, on all parts; was it a one-off or did it happen multiple times?
Seems to happen on all parts, some more prevelant than others.

Do you use a fan?
I have a fan, can not recall if I was using it at the time. I tend not to use it since it seems to lower the hot bed temperature and can make parts 'un-stick'

Does it happen with a different filament?
Not sure but I beleive it does.

Have you tried increasing or reducing the temperature?
I usually run some test prints to find the temperature the filament likes. looking at the prints in my photos it looks like I could drop the temperature a bit.

Have you tried a different slicer?
good point...

Possible scenarios:

1) the temperature is too high or too low - there is a zone along the Z axis in which the problem gets exacerbated by the convection from the build plate, after you leave it, the problem goes away

2) the filament sucks and doesn't extrude evenly

3) a fan causes the filament to "freeze", but for some reason only at certain heights (downwash from the bed, perhaps)

4) it's an artifact in the model itself or your slicer's interpretation of the model
Turbo442

Postby Turbo442 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:39 pm

secretgspot wrote:wow, most people would kill to have that quality. but I do see the problem, and like above me I am pushing towards deflected air-flow if you have the fan on. try without fan and see if same thing happens, or print skirt up to that height.

secretgspot,
Thanks for the compliment! I will try the skirt idea in the future.
matt
Turbo442

Return to ORD Bot