Some new stuff to test...

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Some new stuff to test...

Postby orcinus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Ordered one of these to give it a spin:

No, that's not PEEK nor PTFE. It's ceramic (zirconia).

Also, a tiny 1:50 geared stepper that's supposed to be able to push 3mm filament "direct" drive (as direct as a geared stepper can be):

We'll see how that works :)
orcinus

Re: Some new stuff to test...

Postby Enraged » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Where did you get the ceramic insulator from? That's probably the ultimate solution to keeping heat out of the cold side.
Enraged

Postby regressedEE » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I don't know where orcinus got his, but I got mine from here: 2engineers.com. Note that the 1.75mm version from 2engineers uses PTFE tubing on the inside.
regressedEE

Postby fma » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Interesting; ceramic has a lower thermal conductivity than metal, and can also be used at high temperatures (without PTFE tubing, of course), but I think that PEEK as a lower thermal conductivity (0,25W/m.K)...
Frédéric
fma

Postby orcinus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:35 pm

regressedEE wrote:I don't know where orcinus got his, but I got mine from here: 2engineers.com. Note that the 1.75mm version from 2engineers uses PTFE tubing on the inside.

Same place.

Mine's 3mm. There's a spacer in between the brass and the ceramic insulator in that version, though.
I've asked 2engineers about it and got the following reply:

The black spacer is ptfe with carbon, max temp is 265, if you want to print with polycarbonate please remove the spacer.
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Behold! The Greg's dwarfstruder!

(No, it doesn't extrude dwarves.)
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:46 am

Initial tests are very promising.
I might change the hobbed pulley at some point, but otherwise...

The tiny geared 1:50 stepper has more than enough torque to drive a 3mm filament. In fact, i can drive it at currents so low it's completely cold to the touch. Tried extruding in free air at speeds up to 150 mm/s and there were no problems, except about 1mm of slippage per 50mm of filament driven which i'm half convinced was due to the pulley, not the stepper.

Retracts of up to 800 mm/s work fine.

The modified Greg's extruder design also seems to work fine for now. It's not just a stripped Greg's, i've added a hole that fits the base of the shaft on the stepper tightly, to get some load off the two mounting bolts; i've added a space for a 625 bearing (same one used by the V-wheels) so the stepper shaft and its gear train aren't loaded radially; and the filament hole has a conical widening at the top so the filament doesn't snag on it when loading. Things planned: making the idler block slightly taller to decrease chances of bolt slippage, adding an integrated J-head mount and making a sideways-mounting version for mounting onto makerslide (for a Bowden setup).

Gonna test on an actual print tomorrow.
orcinus

Postby blah_59 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:31 pm

I bought two of the ceramic hot ends from 2engineers but only tried one of them once. I didn't have fan mounted to cool the barrel so I, naturally, had jams with PLA. They are nice looking hot ends and I think they would work well with a fan. Can anyone confirm that?
blah_59

Postby orcinus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:28 pm

I can't, yet.
The groove on them is according to (old?) J-head spec (h=4.6mm), whereas the mounts i have are a full millimeter thicker.

Need to print a mount first, then i'll see how it works (with fans).
orcinus

Postby orcinus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Ta-daaaah. One PET groovemount plate, fresh off the press.

orcinus

Next

Return to ORD Bot