CNC Milling mod for Ord Bot Hadron?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

CNC Milling mod for Ord Bot Hadron?

Postby fsamir » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 am

Hi all,

I've been digging for some information on how to build a CNC milling head for an Ord Bot Hadron. Do you have any information?

I know the Ord Bot wasn't designd for this and the belts can't handle a lot of pressure, but I am fine with that and just want to play with some simple PCB milling.

Thanks
Franklin Dattein
fsamir

Re: CNC Milling mod for Ord Bot Hadron?

Postby cvoinescu » Mon May 05, 2014 1:44 pm

It's not the belts that are the problem -- the Shapeoko, a CNC milling machine based on MakerSlide, uses MXL or GT2 belts too, and they're not the limiting factor. The most trouble I expect you'll have with the bed being able to twist slightly around the Y axis. In other words, if you press down on the left or right side of the bed, it'll give a little. It is much more rigid around the X axis. That said, if you tighten the V-wheels a little more than you would for 3D printing, I don't see why you would not be able to mill PCBs or really soft materials (foam, machinable wax). The easiest way, IMO, would be to buy a Chinese 300 W DC spindle and attach it to the X carriage instead of the extruder. You can even buy one with a power supply and a holder, but since you already have a 3D printer, you could print the holder instead.
cvoinescu

Postby TLHarrell » Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Didn't I see Bart working on a small DC motor (RC car) powered spindle a while back? I'd figure something like that would be ideal for milling circuit board traces.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby cvoinescu » Mon May 05, 2014 11:57 pm

It would be, indeed. It may even be better than the Chinese spindles, whose main advantage is that they're available now.
cvoinescu

Postby runninfarmer » Tue May 06, 2014 3:48 am

The seller I bought my ord bot from, Tool3D, used a dremel on their platform and did some light duty milling with it. Here's a link to some of their videos: http://tool3d.net/index_files/Tool3DProjects.htm
runninfarmer

Postby criznach » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:31 pm

I have a heavily beefed up Shapeoko2, and I'm building the Hadron. I have all of the parts milled from aluminum and G-10, partly assembled, and am waiting on the rest of the components.

I can say from the Shapeoko2 experience that you'll probably want to make a few changes to prevent twisting of your platform and gantry when plunging, or taking a deep or fast cut. As said above, the Y axis platform will deflect to the sides when your spindle plunges into the material. One easy solution might be to double up the Y makerslide, so there is one on each side, supporting the full width. You might also consider rotating the makerslides to a vertical orientation so that the direction of force is more ideal for the v-wheel.

Similarly, the X/Z assembly, and the distance to the spindle act as a lever that will pivot on the v-wheels when enough force is applied. You might try simply adding more v-wheels to the existing plates. On my Shapeoko2, adding additional wheels to the Z-axis plate made a noticeable improvement, and I'm considering doing the same for the X.

I'd start with a Dremel type tool to prove that it's going to work before moving to anything more expensive.
criznach

Return to ORD Bot