Finally switching to ARM

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Finally switching to ARM

Postby orcinus » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:46 am

I've been playing with a Smoothieboard back since it was in beta (both the hardware and the software) but never actually used it in production - just fooled around with it and contributed a little to the Smoothieware code in the early days.

Anyways, i've decided to take the plunge and switch to an ARM, but decided to overdo it a bit and go all the way - i'm switching to an Arduino DUE + quad core ARM Cortex combo, with a 7" screen for the UI and WiFi+LAN:

The lower board is an UDOO Quad - quad core linux ARM machine with an integrated Arduino Due - the top board is a RADDS shield. So far, got the screen working, Octoprint running, flashed Repetier onto the integrated Due, got Octoprint talking to Repetier... however, i hit a snag. For some reason, when i hook up 12V to the RADDS shield, the whole thing gets stuck in a boot loop - during boot, at the point where the Due gets initialized, it somehow and for some reason hard-resets the Cortex.

If anyone's interested, i'll continue logging the progress here.
orcinus

Re: Finally switching to ARM

Postby orcinus » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:35 pm

It would appear the RADDS shield is not delivering enough current to the Due VIN pin (which, in turn, powers the whole UDOO).
Which is pretty weird, considering UDOO accepts anything from 5-15V and draws <2A @ 9V, and i'm delivering it 12V at up to 10A.

Upon further inspection, it seems the latest RADDS shield revision (v1.2) has some extra DC-DC electronics sitting between the 12V in and VIN in place of a single zener diode that used to be there in previous two revisions. I'm guessing that's messing things up (i.e. it was meant to power just a Due, not a UDOO).

I've contacted the author to see what's up.
If everything else fails, i can just jumpwire the 12V input to the VIN pin, i guess.
orcinus

Return to ORD Bot