40 Watt engraver opinion wanted

General discussion of laser machines

40 Watt engraver opinion wanted

Postby buildsomething » Sun May 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Hey guys, I'm back after being away from this group for a while.

I have access to a brand new JCUT-40WA or B...can remember which one... 40 watt engraver...brand new...still in the box for $700 landed here in Canada and was looking for any comments, concerns, opinions on these type or this type of engraver. I've noticed that EBAY is now flooded with these type of machines from China at very low prices...shipping is another story though. Here is the link to the mini engraver that I am looking at.

http://www.cnc-laser-cutter.com/Minides ... raver.html

The work area on this laser is only about 230mm x 200mm ( a far cry from the one that I am building @ 1220mm x 388mm )

This machine uses MOSHI software (I think thats the way you spell it....never heard of it though)

I just wanted to my hands on a small engraver and was wondering if I would be spending my money foolishly or not even though I have a large 60W cutting laser.

I look forward to any comments.

Richard
buildsomething

Re: 40 Watt engraver opinion wanted

Postby lasersafe1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:10 am

Foolish purchase. Don't make the same mistake I did. It was fun to fix up and modify with air assist and add a stepper Z lift, but in the end it is just too small to do anything with. I am going to give mine away to a buddy that helps me with machining parts now that I have my ULS-25 rebuilt. The MoshiDraw software is crap.

On the other hand, $700 gets you a 40W power supply, Tube, 3 mirrors and a lens. Even if you throw the rest in the trash, you are still getting everything you need for turning out a larger machine of your own.
lasersafe1

Re: 40 Watt engraver opinion wanted

Postby buildsomething » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:56 am

Well, I did it and did buy that far east 40W engraver and although it "does" work it does need a lot of redesign.
Bottome line, like everyone who has had one and told me.......they are junk and the Moshisoft software is even worse. Now you should ask me how I really feel about it :lol:

Anyway, one of the good things that came out of the purchase is that I am experimenting with lasers, speeds, power, cooling systems etc while still working on my other laser.This little junky laser is starting to pay for itself....ie....I'm already cutting small bits of plywood, balsa, etc for the radio control modelers in my area and creating a service that the larger laser cutting guys can't...so in that way....its a good thing :D

I definately will be replacing the electronics and hardware in it, but that will be done once I get my other laser finished, stabilized and calibrated. In the mean time, I'm having fun playing with it, making a bit of money to recoop my losses and most importantly learning and gaining knowledge.

Richard
buildsomething

Return to General