Plans

General discussion of laser machines

Plans

Postby Jeremy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Are the latest plans for the laser machine and/or a full parts list posted somewhere?

I am also working on a design for a engraver but am in the early stages, though I like your plans and wanted to check them out, specifically the overall size and the cutting area.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Re: Plans

Postby bdring » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:15 pm

There is no complete set of plans with building instructions, but I have been posting my drawings on the drawings page as I complete them.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/drawings.html

While I have been cutting and engraving on it for quite a while. I have not actually finished it yet. There is not cover yet and the electronics change about every day. Feel free to ask specific question about area that are not so well documented or explained.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Jeremy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:21 pm

I was looking at your drawings and I had a few specific questions, estimates are fine. I am just trying to get a general idea how well the design would work for me.

1. How big is the cutting area?
2. How big is the whole machine?
3. How much did you spend on the structural parts (aluminum extrusion, hardware, sliding parts, etc.)
3. How well does the air exhaust work? I'll probably be cutting a lot of acrylic/plastic and the fumes are pretty bad.

I think your plans are practical and well designed, good work.
Jeremy

Postby bdring » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:04 pm

I added some dimensions to my main drawing. See page 2
http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/drawings/main.pdf

1. Cutting area is about 14.75 X 24.5. The table can fit bigger material, but that is about the largest range of motion.
2. The overall size is about 28 x 49. The plywood sides can be cut from 48" wide material.
3. I probably spent about $300-$350.
4. My fan is huge and loud. It does a good job. You might consider pulling air through the work table. It will hold down light materials.

My machine was just designed as a learning exercise. I would probably do a few things differently, if I made a new machine. I would probably drive the gantry from both ends.

It has held up well though and I have only adjusted the mirrors once, but my current method is only suited to small lightweight gantries. The only issue I had once is a tiny piece of some material was on the right Y rail and caused the bearing wheel to ride over it. This caused a little .03" bump in my cut as I went over the thing. As the end went up the beam angle changed and caused the deviation. Once I clean the rail, the problem went away and I watch out for that now.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby Robert Williams » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:51 pm

Would you drive the other end of the gantry by slaving a stepper motor?
Robert Williams

Postby bdring » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:34 pm

I would probably drive it with a slaved stepper, especially if the distance between the points was long. I have never done this, but it pretty common.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby yydoctt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi I'm new to CNC in general, im young 22, but am fascinated.

I started by wanting a CNC machine but due to the cost of the 4th axis (which I felt was necessary) have put that on hold for a while. A laser cutter would be far more practical for me when working 2 axis (although CNC's are 3 axis, I would look at them more like 2.5).
So I came across Tweakie's CNC which used an existing CNC machine that he built (to be fair he had managed 4 axis fairly cheaply) and I saw his laser attachment which I thought wasn't possible on the cheap. His site pointed me over here and bdring I am so impressed with your machine and the fact you made it open source!

I have a couple of follow up questions from what Robert Williams asked..
Do you know of UK suppiers for your BOM? - I see a lot of google searching will be required..
How much were all the lasers etc on top of the $350 you spent? A full total?

Thanks for any help!
yydoctt

Postby bdring » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't know of any UK suppliers. I would start with eBay and Google searches.

I spent about $250 for the tube (that includes the insured shipping) and about $220 for the power supply (with shipping). I had motors and controller already.

PS: In addition to the kits list, I now have a complete bearing kit. It has all bearing needed. It includes all v-groove, z lift and pulley bearings. I will be posting it on the kits page later today....$90
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby yydoctt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:11 pm

Well I havn't had a good look at the parts drawings yet so don't know what it consists of but i'd definitely get all the kits you provide if you ship to the UK.
I kind of want the build to be a learning process, whereas with things like making diy cintiqs I have done too much research and procrastinated for too long. For this I want to do enough research to get it built but hopefully learn it quicker by being thrown into the deep end, so to speak.
I did a lot of research for a CNC mill so know the fundamentals for the x-y carriage but know nothing of lasers (as only saw them yesterday!)
I am shocked that the psu is as much as the tube!
Also what controller do you use and how much would that cost? I see that you are making your own bdring? Is it available to others?
Do you use two tubes or one? As you have a large and a small one...... sorry I really should start googling.

All in all could you estimate a cost, as I do have a set budget and don't want a half complete machine!
This includes air assist, smoke removal, z lift, etc. (basically everything you've done!)
yydoctt

Postby bdring » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Learning process: That is a good way to look at it. Don't go out and buy everything at once. For example: There is no reason to have an air assist until you are making smoke. Spend a couple more weeks researching before you decide this is really what you want to do.

Prices: I need to look up what I paid. As I recall the PS was a lot cheaper than I wrote before, but my quick eBay search to brought up that number. I think I could build another system from scratch for about $1k USD. I assume you have seen the BOM page?

Controller: I have several. I used a 5 year old Xylotex. I also used a really cheap TB6560 based controller. Not great, but functional. I do not have anymore of my own design.

Tubes: Just one 40W. Over a year old now.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Next

Return to General