Machine drawing upside down and backwards

General discussion of laser machines

Machine drawing upside down and backwards

Postby quadmasta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:40 pm

I created a vector drawing in Illustrator, exported it as DXF, imported it into CamBam and generated the g-code. If I leave the art so that it looks right in Illustrator and CamBam, it's upside down and backward when I plot it using a pen.

I've got 0,0 set to the rear left corner. My DROs all read correctly based on where home is. Am I always going to have to try to remember to flip my work on both axes?
quadmasta

Re: Machine drawing upside down and backwards

Postby naPS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Are you using Mach3 to control it right now?
naPS

Postby quadmasta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Yep, and it'll likely stay that way.
quadmasta

Postby naPS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:17 pm

So flip the "active high/low" switches in the ports and pins for the X and Y axis, that will at least get Mach moving the carriage correctly in relation to what you see on the screen. You'll then most likely have to switch one of the pairs of wires for each motor. Right now, my steppers are wired up from left to right, looking at the terminal side of the plug - Blue, Green, Black, Red. In this instance, you could either swap the blue and green wire, or the black and red wire. That should take care of it.
naPS

Postby quadmasta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:25 pm

So flip those switches, and get the DROs reading correctly again and it should be good to go?
quadmasta

Postby naPS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 pm

It should. It's usually a troubleshooting exercise for me when I'm getting the axis on a new machine lined up and running in the correct direction. Just try different combinations of the active high / low switches, and reversing the pairs of wires on your steppers and you'll get there eventually.
naPS

Postby quadmasta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 pm

I tried your motor config and it only moved in one direction. I checked Bart's drawings of the motors and the way you said splits the coils in the motor across the Keling driver's inputs so I don't know how it worked at all. I swapped a coil on my Y motor which let me get rid of the reverse in homing/limits.

Is 0,0 supposed to be at the rear left or front left?
quadmasta

Postby naPS » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:56 am

0,0 can be anywhere you want it. It can be front left on machines, back left, any corner, really, or right in the middle of the table. It's just a reference. I have mine set up bottom left.
naPS

Postby quadmasta » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:22 pm

The problem isn't my machine, it's CamBam. I'm digging in to figure out exactly what's going on and how to avoid it.
quadmasta

maybe it's not CamBam

Postby quadmasta » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 pm

I changed my zero point to the front left of the machine and ran the same program and it's right side up. I guess I'll just leave my zero there when I'm dealing with stuff from cambam.
quadmasta

Return to General