Custom Quantum/Hadron PCB Heated Build Plate

Electronics related to CNC

Re: Custom Quantum/Hadron PCB Heated Build Plate

Postby frob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:31 am

I agree too :D

So the idea is you have the flexibility to feed it whatever voltage and power you like and it will work: 12V by default, or 5-6V, or 24V if you prefer.
You can easily connect it any which way you prefer.
Copper has a pretty high temperature coefficient, so the power output drops off pretty quickly as it warms up.
- If you feed it 24V, you get 300W@12A max (cold); But by the time it gets to 60C its dropped to 260W@11A ; at 100C its 230W@ 9.7A; at 150C its 200W@ 8.5A;
- If you feed it 12V, you can select low: 150W(12A) or high: 300W (24A) (max cold), your choice; 12V on low drops to: 130W/11A@60C; 115W/9.7A@100C; 100W/8.5A@150C;
Currents are proportionately higher at 5V of course but this option is only useful if you're planing to use an ATX power supply + custom electronics anyways (like me), others can just ignore it.

At least that's the theory.
I've been in contact with a couple of my usual PCB manufacturers to get their inputs on plating tolerance so i can work that into the spreadsheet as well,
i should get answers on that tomorrow.
I hope to finalize the layout this weekend and have prototypes to test about a week or so later...as they say, the proof will be in the pudding ;)
frob

Sneak preview:

Postby frob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Layout is coming along nicely.
Still have to place connectors & such but i'm pleased with the how the heater circuits came out.

HBP5-BOT.png
Bottom (Quantum) side of new custom ORD bot heated build plate

HBP5-TOP.png
Top (Hadron) side of new custom ORD bot heated build plate
frob

Sneak Preview

Postby frob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:20 pm

As you can see, at least in the final version, i expect to get them done with a blue soldermask to to match the cool blue anodising on the ORDbots -
I'd love to put the final Logos on the silkscreen too - though i'm not a graphic artist, once the logos are decided i'll try to import them into the layout - a vector format is easier to import.
Besides that i was thinking some kind of grid or concentric circles pattern w/cross-hairs might be appropriate too.
frob

Fun with logos, almost done....

Postby frob » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:13 pm

HadronTOPlogo.png

QuantumBOTlogo.png
frob

Postby mxk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 pm

The logos look nice, but may be less distracting if they were very much smaller and on one corner instead of the center of the print bed. You want to be able to see how well the first layer is adhering.
mxk

Postby Oli » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:22 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Oli on Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oli

Postby Gijs » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi frob,
Is there a chance that these boards eventually ship with the kits, or will you be offering them separately/is there also a preorder for this?

attached another proposal for the silkscreen. I would also not place the logo in the center, since then it won't be visible with most prints. If people make photo's or video of the working printer, the logo will help to see right away what printer it is.

Image or Image
Gijs

Postby frob » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:24 am

Gijs wrote:Hi frob,
Is there a chance that these boards eventually ship with the kits, or will you be offering them separately/is there also a preorder for this?

Right now its preorder by PM to me - please indicate Quantum or Hadron :) I'd be happy to support having these as part of the official kit, but that's up to Bart to decide that-
it is a bit premature for that right now though since i don't even have a working prototype yet - i hope to order some boards later this coming week with some other designs i'm working on so i should have something to demo in a couple weeks, assuming it works right i'll give Bart a sample to try out, and we'll see if it gets a thubs-up then :)
Gijs wrote:attached another proposal for the silkscreen. I would also not place the logo in the center, since then it won't be visible with most prints. If people make photo's or video of the working printer, the logo will help to see right away what printer it is.

Wow very cool! i appreciate the help! When i'm all done with the copper layout i'll try to replicate your silkscreen designs :)
frob

Postby Zat German » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 pm

frob wrote:Wow very cool! i appreciate the help! When i'm all done with the copper layout i'll try to replicate your silkscreen designs :)

I really like Gijs' second design with the logo in the corner.
Zat German

Postby iGull » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Although I'm not building a bot yet, I do also like the second one - as long as the grid is 1 cm :-))

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

PreviousNext

Return to Electronics