Controller Recommendations

Electronics related to CNC

Controller Recommendations

Postby lastminutehero » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Our group is getting started on laying out the parts needed to build the 2.x LASER system. My current question is what does this community recommend for controllers? At this point there is a $500 limit on the cost of the controller --- but that may change depending on your feedback.

List of needs
Process both raster, and vector graphics.
Process graphics in one shot (We don’t want to import/export then import/export in multiple applications just to get it to a filetype that will work.)
Reliable
Repeatable

List of wants
Simple
USB support
Network support
Interface with desktop software
Work as a “printer driver”????

Controllers I have run across so far, (some do not meet all the needs)
Laser Interface/Driver (buildlog)
Commercial DSP (lightobject)
Lasersaur (http://labs.nortd.com/lasersaur/store)
If it's not broken --- Fix it till it is.
lastminutehero

Re: Controller Recommendations

Postby TLHarrell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Could also take a look at Full Spectrum Engineering's Retina Engrave controller. I usually export (print) .xps files for it, but there is an optional direct print driver which operates exactly like a printer in Windows. A lot of people around here use the LO DSP.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby lastminutehero » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 pm

TLHarrell wrote:Could also take a look at Full Spectrum Engineering's Retina Engrave controller. I usually export (print) .xps files for it, but there is an optional direct print driver which operates exactly like a printer in Windows. A lot of people around here use the LO DSP.

Thanks for the reply TLHarrell. That looks like a fantastic controller. It sounds like you are currently using the Retina Engrave controller, did you build your own system around the controller or purchase the one they build? What was your experience with Full Spectrum?
If it's not broken --- Fix it till it is.
lastminutehero

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I purchased my system directly from FSE. Since I've had this machine for a while, I'm now much more familiar with laser systems and could design and build my own. I'd still use Retina Engrave as I'm really used to the work flow now and the features are fantastic. The company has been extremely good at responding to various teething issues I had when starting up. I've had email responses in under an hour, and on weekends.
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
TLHarrell

Postby SSW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

Hi,

I noticed on their web site that they "no longer support DIY" applications of their controller.

Are you saying that they have given some support recently?

Thanks,

Bernie
-- Bernie
SSW

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm

They've never really been interested too much in selling to the DIY market. Others on here have successfully purchased and integrated their controllers. I bought my entire machine from them as I was starting out and was looking more for a turnkey solution.
TLHarrell

Return to Electronics