[Q] Hour Meter AC-DC? and How to Connect

Electronics related to CNC

[Q] Hour Meter AC-DC? and How to Connect

Postby nephertiti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking to buy hour meter for laser tube. But I'm not sure which one is good for it? And how to connect it?

I just found this two hour meter.

AC:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-ship-Waterproof-SYS-3-Quartz-SYS-3-Hour-meter-electronic-full-sealed-Timer-for-Motor/686074382.html

DC:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Ship-Black-Waterproof-Vehicle-Car-Boat-Motor-Motorcycle-Hour-Meter-DC-6-to-50V-Chrome/610878_567421726.html

One is 100-250V AC other one is 6-50V DC.

So anyone know how to connect hour meter to laser tube and which hour meter should I choose?

Thanks.
nephertiti

Re: [Q] Hour Meter AC-DC? and How to Connect

Postby Liberty4Ever » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 pm

These hour meters are very simple two terminal devices. For the AC meter, apply the specified AC voltage across the two terminals whenever you want to measure the time. The DC version is the same, only with DC power. For the DC version, you'll probably need to observe the proper polarity (positive voltage to the plus or red terminal, and negative voltage or common to minus or black). The AC version is typically used at some location on the incoming AC power line, and the DC version is typically used after the power supply converts the incoming AC into DC to power the various subsystems components or generate control voltages.

The only real complexity is deciding what you'd like to time. I'll probably have two hour meters on my laser, with one recording machine ON time (how long the laser has been powered), and the other recording laser time (how long the laser tube has been powered, as measured from the laser power supply's enable signal), It can sometimes be useful to know how much time the laser tube has been operating, when reporting a laser tube failure to the manufacturer, or when scheduling periodic maintenance to the laser subsystem.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Return to Electronics