2.x Limit switches - is shielded cable required?

Electronics related to CNC

2.x Limit switches - is shielded cable required?

Postby Ischcuch » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 pm

2.X laser gantry energy chain question:

I read on mach 3 instructions that limit switches must be connected using shielded cable. I don't have a shielded cable and don't want to buy one if not required.

Will shielding be required when running the X axis limit switch cable in parallel with a Nema 17 motor cable and a 1.1A DC supply for my gantry LED strip?

TIA.
Ischcuch

Re: 2.x Limit switches - is shielded cable required?

Postby bdring » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:58 pm

I have never had much trouble with unshielded limit switch wires. If getting that type of cable is a problem, twist the wires of each switch. That helps a little. Do not run it anywhere near the laser tube wires.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: 2.x Limit switches - is shielded cable required?

Postby kbob » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

Ischcuch wrote:2.X laser gantry energy chain question:

I read on mach 3 instructions that limit switches must be connected using shielded cable. I don't have a shielded cable and don't want to buy one if not required.

Will shielding be required when running the X axis limit switch cable in parallel with a Nema 17 motor cable and a 1.1A DC supply for my gantry LED strip?

TIA.

I had many false readings from my limit switches when I ran them unshielded through the same cable carrier as the stepper motor leads.

For shielded cable, I used an old USB cable. That was cheaper (and faster) than ordering a spool of shielded cable.
Bob
"If you didn't code it, it will never own you." (-:
kbob

Return to Electronics