Powering LED Strip Question

Electronics related to CNC

Powering LED Strip Question

Postby kpaul247 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Is there any reason that I can't power a few 24v LED strips on the same power supply as the DSP and Steppers/Drivers? The PSU I have is a 15 amp unit so more than enough current for all that.

If I can do that, is there a way to trigger them from one of the outputs on the DSP using a DC to DC SSR? My other option is a switch and mechanical relay.

Thanks!
kpaul247

Re: Powering LED Strip Question

Postby Improbable Construct » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:57 pm

I don't see why that wouldn't work.
I am no EE but that's the way I would do it.
I think i read that out one activates with the motors and out two activates with the laser tube.
I think you might be better off having them on a separate switch or just coming on with the rear power switch.
I have a ton of led strip but it is all 12 volt so I haven't installed it yet.
I am thinking under the x gantry and just above the front air intake slots would be a good place for them.
Improbable Construct

Postby kpaul247 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:13 pm

I thought I read somewhere that there are a few extra outs on the DSP that were not used for anything. I don't know if that is valid or if you can even access them from the menus.

I was curious about the LED's on the same PSU causing some interference/noise/unknown issue. I have seen others install LED's on separate supplies but those were 12v. I just don't want to potentially fry something if I don't have to!
kpaul247

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:44 pm

I've got a 1m set of cheap Chinese RGB LEDs stuck in my laser. I ran it along the front edge and down the left side under the top cover. The little remote controller box and receiver are stuck on the back of the case above the laser tube (I though it might end up with some interference there, but it seems to work fine), and the 12v input wire from the small wall wart is jammed in through the exhaust pipe for now. Didn't really feel like drilling a hole for it until I was 100% certain it wouldn't get fried by the laser. Makes for a decent amount of light in the case and no shadows under the gantry, unlike the overhead shop lights. Added bonus, I can keep the garage door up and shop lights off and it won't draw near as many bugs.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Return to Electronics