Power Supply Question

Electronics related to CNC

Power Supply Question

Postby iamwill » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Theoretically, I know this is possible, but I am more or less looking for a sanity check....

I have an 800W Corsair power supply (with the modular cable system) that I want to use to power the controller card for the laser that I'm building. I was going to get the Azteeg X3, but wanted to make sure that this is possible. Does anyone have experience with using a PC power supply vice one of these "other" power supplies from eBay?

Will
iamwill

Re: Power Supply Question

Postby StigOE » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:24 pm

If you're building a laser, why would you connect an Azteeg X3? Use it to run Grbl (or whatever it's called)? Besides, for the laser, it's more common with 24V for the motors, not 12V from a PC PSU.

Br,
Stig
StigOE

Re: Power Supply Question

Postby iamwill » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Stig,

I asked Roy (from Panucatt) if the X3 would be able to control a laser cutter and he said with the right firmware I should be okay. I like the Azteeg series because of their size and the onboard controllers, plus the idea of the controller being an arduino. Additionally, the Viki control panel and the total price was a deciding factor.

With that said, I am always taking recommendations, but from my searches on Google and other sites, I haven't found too many promising competitors that have that style viki control panel for the compatible price. I was going to go with the G3 model, but no one knows when they are going to make another batch. :(

Thanks for the input on the power supply. My theory was using something I already have and mounting it to the frame so that I had a power switch on the back and the plug on the back (vice having cables coming out). I can always order some of the c13 and c14 plug connectors and make my own panel on the back though. I didn't think about looking at the 12V vs 24V... I was looking at it from a different standpoint. I'm glad I asked.
iamwill

Return to Electronics