Laser Power Supply

Electronics related to CNC

Laser Power Supply

Postby lasersafe1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 pm

On your 11-21-09 entry on http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/index.html you show the hookup of your power supply and mention using either 0 to 5V or PWM. I have this power supply shown in the attachment. I haven't tried running it via PWM but my first thought after reading the manual was that the PWM option needed to be requested when ordering. You get either 0-5 V or PWM. Am I misinterpreting the Chinese to English translation? Looking at it again I guess it could also mean that all supplies can do 0 to 5V (and) PWM, but you need to tell them if you want 5V or 3.3V on the PWM input?

God I wish I had a schematic for these things! They seem so simple. It makes me wonder if we couldn't do some sort of open source power supply using automotive spark plug coils. I read somewhere that the coils on a dragster produce some 30 Amps at 20kV.

All in all we really have no room to complain. I have worked with Argon Ion lasers for years and their power supplies were giant 240V water-cooled monstrosities costing thousands. Turns out they could probably also be driven by these ebay CO2 power supplies.
Attachments
snap3.jpg
Typical C02 power supply found on Ebay
snap3.jpg (217 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
78E20C8Bd01.pdf
Manual for this particular supply shown in the image.
(156.84 KiB) Downloaded 1060 times
lasersafe1

Re: Laser Power Supply

Postby bdring » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:24 pm

That is strange. My power supply does not mention 3.3V. I would assume the analog and PWM max voltage should be the same. I'll bet everything switches over to 3.3V. The TTL stuff and the output voltage on pin 6.

That is interesting because my XMOS device is 3.3V. Everything in my system should work fine except the PWM. It will need to be translated if I want to get full power.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Return to Electronics