Raster Laser Engraving software and methods

Discuss Laser CNC Software Issues

Re: Raster Laser Engraving software and methods

Postby bdring » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 am

I might be able to explain the power meter, but not much else. The meter is going to show an average power, because it does not react very fast. If you get a constant pulse per step, the faster the steps come the higher the average power. That is one part of pulse method that works. You do not need to compensate for speed during acceleration. It will naturally up the power at higher speed.

In theory, you want the Mach3 plugin to get multiple steps per pixel. It can then create an on/off pattern of pulses to simulate a gray, like a laser printer creates a gray. If you have 1 bit depth, it does not matter, but more pulses per unit of length is always better if your image is light. It is still like painting with a paint ball gun, but that is the best Mach is going to do.

My problem with the pulse method is if you have an all black image you should be able to peg the meter. The laser should stay on and not go off.

You have a retrofitted commercial Chinese machine right? What was the factory steps per inch? What is the model number?
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:50 am

The case says DC-K40III. I was just looking at the X motion which is the one of primary interest. The original motor had 0.9 degrees per step and I have no idea whether or not the original driver had microstepping going on. I got ticked off at Moshidraw so fast that I junked it all. My new higher speed motor has 1.8 degrees per step. 360 degrees on the motor will move the mirror 1.6 inches.

Since I am presently set to 250 steps per inch in Mach 3 for the proper travel result this means that I am in half step mode. I'm going to have to pull the card back out and do some solder jumping to get it to 1/4 or 1/16 step mode.
lasersafe1

Postby lasersafe1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:53 am

It wasn't a matter of speed and meter response. It was real power differences. When rastering at 400"/min it was barely turning paper brown even when the knob was set all the way up. When I sped up to 1400"/min (by using the raster speed selection in the Mach 3 plugin) it burned right through the paper and left me with dust.
lasersafe1

Postby Mike-f » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Can Anyone point me in the direction of a compiled version of the corrected mach 3 laser plugin? I can find copies of the source code but have no way of compiling them!

Thanks

Mike
Mike-f

Postby macona » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 am

macona

Postby Mike-f » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:39 am

But is the one on the machsupport site the corrected version I thought it had issues with aspect ratio and non square images??

Thanks,

Mike.
Mike-f

Previous

Return to Software