MakerBot MK6 stepstruder?

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

MakerBot MK6 stepstruder?

Postby dalewheat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Will there be any simple way to mount an older, MK6 (not the "plus" version) Makerbot Stepstruder to the ORD Bot?
dalewheat

Re: MakerBot MK6 stepstruder?

Postby BenJackson » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:35 pm

You could do it if you designed a mount for it. It wouldn't be "simple".

EDIT: Plus the "tower" design of the MK6 isn't really good for a moving head. The Thing-o-Matic the mk6 was intended for only moves the printhead in Z, so it doesn't have to be very stiff.
Last edited by BenJackson on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenJackson

Postby JeremyBP » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 pm

The mk6 uses a special mounting pattern, which is not on the ord bot carriage. It would be possible to make an adaptor, but because of the width you would lose build area. I personally wouldn't use one anyway, unless you happen to have one already. The drive isn't great, and the hot end is only alright.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby dalewheat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I do already have a MK6. It's 90% assembled, using 1.75mm filament, and waiting on a thermocouple. Or a thermistor. I haven't decided yet.

I'd be delighted to accept any helpful advice on the selection of a more "appropriate" extruder for either the Quantum or Hadron.
dalewheat

Postby JeremyBP » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:56 am

If you already have it, use it. The main issue you'll face is the wide mount. It would be possible to make a narrower mount. I don't have the dimensions handy, but a couple of vertical posts would hold it well.
As far as thermocouple vs. Thermistor goes, go for the thermistor. I used a thermocouple, and regret it. It's incredibly sensitive to noise, and won't give a stable reading without tons of filtering.

If you want to go a different route, then you need to decide if you want a kit extruder or a more diy design. If you want a kit, my two reccomendations are the makerbot mk7 and the makergear stepper plastruder. If you want a scratch build, I would suggest a wade's drive and makergear hot end.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby dalewheat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Yes, I do already have the MK6, but I think I will reserve it for the custom gantry that I've already built that's custom-designed for it. It has a fixed extruder design with a moveable XY table below.

I appreciate your suggestions for an alternate extruder specifically for the ORD Bot. In other news, my Quantum arrived today! Time to clean up the workbench!

One more question, if I might... I see that there is a "MK7" adapter plate available, but I did not order one with my Quantum. What, if any, extruders work with the ORD Bot as shipped? Or will they all require some type of adapter plate?

I'm still accumulating information about the "state of the art" concerning extruders and hot-ends, as I've been away from the field for a year. What a lot of progress has been made in such a short time! Another recommendation for a simple DIY approach was the "Greg's Wade's" and a J-Head. With so many hybrids and new designs, it's really hard to keep up, much less make an "informed decision".

Any information or or insight is much appreciated!
dalewheat

Postby JeremyBP » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 pm

I use a makerbot mk7. Before Bart designed the adaptor, I screwed down the mk7 plate the the extruder carriage, and that worked well enough. Then I got a proper adaptor, and it worked much, much better.
There are many other good choices. As far as pre-built or complete kit extruders go, the makergear is also a very good choice.
And then there are the ones you have to build yourself. The "greg's wade" is one of the best, but right now it looks like the reloaded version is hands-down the best printable extruder there is. I've never built one myself, but Enraged is working on one. Maybe he'll chime in on that.
If you go that route, you'll also need a hot-end. The makergear hot-ends and the j-heads are all very good.

Like anything else, choosing an extruder is about the pros and cons. For example, I don't really like the drive mechanism of the mk7, but love that the hot-end is so short. Compared to something like a j-head, I get an extra 20-30mm of build height. I also have a makergear extruder. The hot-end is longer, but I like the drive mechanism a lot more. Just pick what's important to you (size, engineering, cost), and select the design that satisfies them as well as possible.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Return to ORD Bot