Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Post your build logs here

Re: Jeremy's ORD Bot Build

Postby JeremyBP » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:49 am

Glad you like them!
Thanks also for taking the time to analyze the part quality, as that does help me with tuning.
Compulsive Fabricator
http://tinyworkshop.org
JeremyBP

Postby mxk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:10 am

Enraged,
Thanks for the photos! That truly is excellent quality. I've invested a LOT of time tweaking and tuning my Sells Mendel and I think I am producing parts near Jeremy's quality, but I do agree the inherent squareness and stiffness of Bart's design, plus the modern tool chains of Marlin/Slic3r/Pronterface should make it much easier to get to that point. I'm really looking forward to getting my ORD and assembling it -- I am sure it will live up to my expectations.

I'm sorry to hear you paid for the natural pieces, they look like stuff I throw away. I've sent a couple people in the queue for ORD bots some extruders I've printed, but while they are functional and look a lot better than your eBay parts, I wouldn't be able to respect myself if I was charging for them.

If you do buy any more parts on eBay, look for stuff from nophead - his work looks as good as Jeremy's.
mxk

Postby JeremyBP » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 am

NopHead is one of the original RepRap devs, and his work is really amazing. If you want some interesting reading, check out his blog (http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com) and read it from beginning to end. There is so much to learn there.

His prints are really some of the best there are. He has a sells mendel that has printed over 100 other mendels! It's really remarkable.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby mxk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 am

My white Sells Mendel is built from nophead's parts, I think I got one of his first with his improved X axis. It was disenheartening for a year to print parts and hold them up to his.

It's hard to tell from photos, but it does look like your parts from the ORD are already on par with his.
mxk

Postby Enraged » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:47 am

thanks for the link. it's amazing how similar the design of his Mendel90 is to the ORDbot, I guess great minds think alike!

I only paid $20 shipped for the ebay parts, and I think shipping to Canada was at least $10, so I'm not too worried about it.
Enraged

Postby Zat German » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Are you using Marlin's defaults for all your acceleration/speed settings? If not, could you post your Configuration.h?
Zat German

Postby JeremyBP » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:24 pm

I have found the default acceleration to work very well. The speeds do need to be boosted, because the ORD bot is fast. I have my X/Y max speeds set at 1 m/s, and my Z set at 600 mm/sec max.
Compulsive Fabricator
JeremyBP

Postby butterfingers » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Enraged wrote:thanks for the link. it's amazing how similar the design of his Mendel90 is to the ORDbot, I guess great minds think alike!

Nophead clearly has a ton of experience and has ended up in a similar design space as Ord Bot, albeit with MDF basically providing the rigidity that rods and bearings lack. Good to see. Saying that, I just don't see why the RepRap folks insist on staying with rods. Is it basically because they're commoditised and some day they hope to be able to replace them with something printable? If so, then with a tall enough machine and some kind of support structure, why not try to print Makerslide? Difficult, but a heck of a lot easier than rods.
butterfingers

Previous

Return to Build Logs