If you needed a DSP Controller, what would you buy?

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

If you needed a DSP Controller, what would you buy?

Postby gavztheouch » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm

If have just about finished my own DIY Laser, I will post some pics in the gallery once its complete for anyone who is intrested. One item I would like to buy for the laser would be a DSP to control my stepper motors and Laser. What I would like to know from anyone who has done similer research or bought a DSP already, is what one would you go for from the few that are out there.

My budget max is around £500.

Would like it to works with programs like inkscape and illustrator.

Ease of use and engraving quality is important.

My x-axis and y-axis have different steps per mm, is this a problem or can you calibrate the DSP to work with any setup.

Any thought and advise would be appreciated

Many thanks

Gav
Timothy hay for rabbits delivered over the UK http://www.timothyhay.co.uk
gavztheouch

Re: If you needed a DSP Controller, what would you buy?

Postby r691175002 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:16 pm

I own a retinaengrave but would buy whatever is cheaper. Currently all the offerings are very similar.

The DSP controller uses a coreldraw plugin so it can only print from coreldraw.
The retina works exactly like a printer so any program that prints can cut. Note that a lot of programs (inkscape in particular) have issues such as printing curves as line segments or other weirdness. I cut all my work from coreldraw.

More people are using a DSP controller. Retinaengrave is made in the USA.

In terms of real differences, the DSP is more configurable in terms of pulse timings and such (shouldn't really matter) and the retina may have higher engraving quality (hard to judge).
The retina engrave can control power in engrave mode, I do not believe the DSP has that capability.

The retina is under active development and gets new features every month or so, you can see changelogs here:
http://www.fullspectrumengineering.com/ ... um.php?f=7
r691175002

Postby gavztheouch » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank for your answer, are these improvements that retina engrave are making monthly, available as a patch or update which you can update yourself?
gavztheouch

Postby twehr » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 am

gavztheouch wrote:If have just about finished my own DIY Laser, I will post some pics in the gallery once its complete for anyone who is intrested. One item I would like to buy for the laser would be a DSP to control my stepper motors and Laser. What I would like to know from anyone who has done similer research or bought a DSP already, is what one would you go for from the few that are out there.

My budget max is around £500.

Would like it to works with programs like inkscape and illustrator.

Ease of use and engraving quality is important.

My x-axis and y-axis have different steps per mm, is this a problem or can you calibrate the DSP to work with any setup.

Any thought and advise would be appreciated

Many thanks

Gav

Regina is not a DSP. Retina is a controller and print driver. DSP is specific to a set of very similar controllers out there.

Retina cannot handle different steps/inch. It is configured for 1000 steps per inch only. DSP is completely configurable.

Light Object DSP does work with Corel 12, X4, X5. It also works with older Illustrator (8), but work is being done to allow better compatibility with current Illustrator and other graphics applications.

LO DSP has had a series of regular upgrades lately - weekly, monthly. New features include PPI on a layer-by-layer basis, direct entry of X,Y coord for movement to specific locations, multiple origins, etc. Nobody else is releasing new features and fixes as quickly as Light Object DSP.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Postby r691175002 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:52 am

I apologize, I haven't been following the DSP controllers since the thunder/lightobject split.

The newer versions of the retina allows changing the steps/inch in the xml file. Patches are just .exe files you can download yourself. I'm running a version about two years old just because I haven't felt the need to update.

None of the differences between the two controllers are very significant, and unfortunately documentation is sparse so it is hard to make a real comparison. I haven't heard anyone complain about being limited by their controller features to date.

There are more people using the DSP type controllers which may matter if you need support. You will probably be getting optics from lightobject as well which would save on shipping.
r691175002

Postby gavztheouch » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions people in the end I went for the lightobject DSP, hopefully all will go well with the import lottery that stands before me.
gavztheouch

Postby iGull » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Gav

I just bought a LO controller a few weeks ago - works extremely well. Has a few software issues which will hopefully be solved in the next few weeks.
If you are still in Stirling, you are welcome to come across for a look.

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller