Wade's family of extruders

Topics Related to the ORD Bot Printer

Re: Wade's family of extruders

Postby mxk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm

orcinus wrote:So, apparently, for a standard Wade's (i.e. standard gears that go with it), suggested holding torque is 40 Ncm.
The Phidgets baby-stepper is only 5.4 Ncm (@0.4A). So i don't quite see a way that will work...

I can confirm that the Phidgets baby-stepped is a non-starter. I will have to find some other use for them, maybe in a drawbot.

I would have replied on this thread sooner, but I fried the steppers on my RAMPS board earlier in the week.
mxk

Postby mhensen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 pm

My Take on the Wade extruder.. I solved it by printing me a black to offset and raise the complete wade ..
Extra height is 3 cm.. Still plenty of room food cooling fan and wiring!

And yep.. You are right .. I mirrored the wade to keep the motor away from hitting the x-axis motor :-)

Still need to finish the build but plan to use leads crew for the Z instead of the threaded rod. I have 20 cm length so I need to print me a new nut block for the z axis to hold the nut part.
mhensen

Postby IPvFletch » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Looks great!!
mhensen wrote:Still need to finish the build but plan to use leads crew for the Z instead of the threaded rod. I have 20 cm length so I need to print me a new nut block for the z axis to hold the nut part.

Huh? What's the difference?
IPvFletch

Postby mxk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Mhensen, that looks awesome! Please post your STL file for the bridge, I want one!
mxk

Postby mhensen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:22 pm

The treaded rod is always has a slight wobble and I know for sure that the Lead screw I have on my Prusa helped me a lot in having less fluctuation on my straight walls when printing. :-)
And while it still is not mechanically finished I thought that I can do this 'upgrade' now instead of later..

I printed the replacement and screwed on the 'new' nut blocks and so far it seems to fit nicely.. I guess that is the advantage off having a fully calibrated and 'upgraded' prusa :-)

extruderplate.stl.zip
The bridge for the wade extruder
(102.74 KiB) Downloaded 920 times

And the STL.. I used m3 to mount it to the plate and m4 to mount the wade to the extension.

One side is wider then the other.. a bit offset, this because the wad has one side a slight bit longer then the other and I wanted to match.. This one is for the mirrored wade, printed with the x-axis reversed :-)
mhensen

Postby LeonS » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Thank you so much for posting the STL file. That is exactly what I had in mind. I am still contemplating moving the extruder to the left a cm or so.

Did you model that in openSCAD? If so could you post that as well.

Regards,
Leon
LeonS

Postby WhiteB0rd » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:57 pm

IPvFletch wrote:Looks great!!
mhensen wrote:Still need to finish the build but plan to use leads crew for the Z instead of the threaded rod. I have 20 cm length so I need to print me a new nut block for the z axis to hold the nut part.

Huh? What's the difference?

I didn't know either, so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadscrew

Bottom line, it's a machined threaded rod designed for this purpose (precise, low-friction linear actuation), not a re-purposed length of allthread.

It's also significantly more expensive, as are the threaded blocks that go with....

I'm curious what mhensen used on the prusa upgrade and where it was sourced.

WB
WhiteB0rd

Postby Enraged » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:06 am

you can get ACME threaded rod and nuts from Mcmaster for a reasonable price, or just buy from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-3-8-12-ACME- ... 19d0476c52

I asked awhile ago, and he can do custom lengths in small quantities
Enraged

Postby WhiteB0rd » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:13 am

Enraged wrote:you can get ACME threaded rod and nuts from Mcmaster for a reasonable price...

I went looking and couldn't find anything that looked like the right stuff.

I would greatly prefer metric sizing for consistency's sake. Sizes I found seemed HUGE in comparison to what we have from Bart, and the price of matching acme threaded nuts was absurd.

Please, if you have a link to mcmaster parts, pass it on.

WB
WhiteB0rd

Postby Enraged » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:11 am

that ebay link was for threaded rod and a delrin nut. its already machined for bearings and a coupler, which is not cheap to get done unless you have a lathe.

Mcmaster isnt cheap: http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpos ... ts/=haogbh
Enraged

PreviousNext

Return to ORD Bot