dzach's Hadron build

Post your build logs here

dzach's Hadron build

Postby dzach » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:19 am

This is my first 3d printer and I intend to fully own it, pursuant to Bart's motto "If you didn't build it, you will never own it." :)

The Hadron ORDbot was received on Monday, April 23, in excellent condition, well packed and nothing missing. The mechanical part was easy to build, but not without hiccups. Some things are obvious in the end, but a puzzle at start. Like drilling the holes on the extrusions.

I drilled the Y-axis hole at the wrong end (Bart, please add to the relevant drawing that the Y-axis hole is to be drilled near the extrusion end that's NOT tapped to take the foot screws :oops: ). Fortunately, the extra hole is at the bottom and might prove useful for some extra wiring in the future.

The machine is indeed very stiff and the design splendid. The lovely metal look only breaks by the long nylon stepper spacers of the x-axis. These spacers are also the only places where I see a little flex under heavy stress.

I like screws well tighten but I read a warning about the nylon spacers that kept me from doing so. However, since I happened to have some 10mm 1mm thick aluminum tubing laying around, I cut 4 pcs 38mm each, ground the ends flat and replaced the long nylon spacers of the X-axis stepper. I now have them as tight as I want.

Boy, is this rigid! the whole X-axis feels like cast iron!
2012-04-28-030317.jpg
Replaced the nylon stepper spacers.

2012-04-27-172303.jpg

I'll leave it that way. I like the all metal look and feel.
Maybe this can be an option for the next batch of ORDbots. It shouldn't raise the cost by much.
dzach

Re: dzach's Hadron build

Postby Stephen Wright » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:49 am

That looks great, frob posted a good idea for a motor mount here http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1242&p=10784#p10784 I ordered some square tube from Amazon Supply to see if I can do the same or maybe something like what you have, hmmm.... so many ideas to steal from....
Stephen Wright

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 am

dzach wrote:I drilled the Y-axis hole at the wrong end (Bart, please add to the relevant drawing that the Y-axis hole is to be drilled near the extrusion end that's NOT tapped to take the foot screws :oops: ). Fortunately, the extra hole is at the bottom and might prove useful for some extra wiring in the future.

Oh, crap, i've just realised i did the same mistake.
I think i'll just tap the other end instead of drilling another hole...
orcinus

Postby dzach » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:52 am

orcinus wrote:I think i'll just tap the other end instead of drilling another hole...

Yeah, I had such an urge to see it up and running that the thought this extra hole would be needed soon and the fact that I didn't have a 5mm tap in hand prevailed. But things go slower than planned. This machine deserves a tidy wiring, but this takes more time than I thought.

I bought this 360W, 12V 30A power supply for 35€ at a local store. It had no dimensions on the ad but it's made in China and pictures of it are all over the internet and some had dimensions: 199x100x40mm. Same picture at the store's web page, so I assumed it would be the same dimensions.

It came out to be 215x115x50mm and different than in the pictures
2012-04-28-102611.jpg

but it still barely fits under the Y axis:
2012-04-28-105027.jpg
dzach

Postby dzach » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:19 pm

I thought wiring the ORDbot would be quick, despite the wiki warning to the contrary. Wiki was right, it does take time, as I keep forgetting what cable goes into what hole.

Here is a wiring plan showing location of cables and number of conductors needed. Cable locations are as close to the wiki proposal as possible:
ORDbot-wiring5.png
ORDbot wiring plan v1

Here is the source SVG file for the wiring plan created with Inkscape. Please feel free to use/comment/correct it (delete the last .txt file extension):

ORDbot-wiring-v1.svg.txt
ORDbot wiring plan v1 SVG
(50.86 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times

EDIT: Updated wiring plan to v1
Last edited by dzach on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dzach

Postby naPS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Bitchin' diagram man - would definitely have made my first build way easier.
naPS

Postby dzach » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm

naPS wrote:Bitchin' diagram man - would definitely have made my first build way easier.

Yeah, but please keep in mind that I don't have a working printer yet. After the wiring plan gets some comments or errors are fixed and a working printer is assembled based on it, it could be added to the wiki, having been field proven.

I fixed some errors, please use the new version.
dzach

Postby orcinus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Can't see the text in the SVG (probably a missing font).
Also, shouldn't the green text say "extruder stepper", not "x-axis stepper"?
orcinus

Postby dzach » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:02 am

orcinus wrote:Can't see the text in the SVG (probably a missing font).
Also, shouldn't the green text say "extruder stepper", not "x-axis stepper"?

Thanks for catching this. You are probably right, it should be a font problem. I'm on Kubuntu Linux and was using a default 'Sans' font. It's missing the MS Arial font that's common to most platforms. I'll try to see why but in the meanwhile I changed the font to DejaVu Sans. Hopefully that's common enough.

Here is v2 of the drawings. I've added some separate ones for the signals etc.
ORDbot-wiring-v2.svg.txt
Wiring plan v2 SVG
(248.74 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times

wiring_plan_v2.png
Wiring plan v2

stepper_connections_v2.png
Stepper connections v2

heater_connections_v2.png
Heater connections v2

limit_signals_v2.png
Axis limit signals v2

temperature_signals_v2.png
Temperature signals v2

I should also add a detail of the series/parallel connection of the Z axis steppers with proper wire colors.
dzach

Postby dzach » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:26 pm

Tonight's state of the build:
2012-04-30-012745.jpg
It's coming together

Reassembled the whole bot using last night's drawings. Run out of 5 core cable. Other than that it went a lot faster, but...
2012-04-29-214618.jpg
Handle plate holes were 8mm and not 10mm
passing more than one multicore cable through the extrusion holes is a real pain. I had to drill the diameter of the holes in the cross Z handle plate to 10mm.

Decided to hide the power wiring into the extrusion too, like in the drawings. The place of entrance into the extrusions is at the base of the left (rear view) vertical makerslide to accommodate a nearby power supply.
2012-04-29-160422.jpg
Used 220V cable cores. Not the right colors for 12V DC but the right wire gauge.

Hacked an old PC power connector
2012-04-30-012917.jpg

2012-04-30-021216.jpg
Some screw terminals were misaligned when soldered.
(Almost) ready to power up!
dzach

Next

Return to Build Logs