Ben's 2.x Laser Build

Post your build logs here

Re: Ben's 2.x Laser Build

Postby dirktheeng » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Ben,

I'm going to give EMC a go and see if I can make some progress with what I want to do through linux/emc/fpga.

I'm downloading the ISO now. Is there any reason why the 10.04 ubuntu version will not work? I think most people use the 8.04 version right? Anyhow, I'll give that a shot and see if I can't make it work.

Edit: nevermind... I just read all the documentation on Ben's github (wow! what a great tool he has developed) and saw that his install is based on the 10.04 live cd
dirktheeng

Postby Modelart » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am

someone saw Bill?, I suspect that in another jaw dropping project...
regards
rick
Modelart

Postby educa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:30 am

@dirktheeng did you manage to get emc working fine with PPI and raster engraving ?

I hooked up my steppers to emc yesterday and must say I'm impressed with the basic steps to get movement.

Now tonight I'll install ubuntu instead of using the live cd.

I allready tried to do the PPI using an arduino, but discovered a few days ago that arduino is VERY VERY bad at precize timing. An assembly programmed atmega on the other hand is very accurate.

But since I have a very speedy PC here with less then 4200 jitter emc2 kindly reports it should be capable of sending upto 50000Hz signals to my machine? Thats 1 meter per second speed with 0.02mm resolution (0.000787")

The nice stuff about emc is that it looks like I'll be able to build custom frontends for this + apart from the 50Khz signal emc can make you still have a huge processing power available for other logic.
educa

Postby educa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Ben,

I'm almost at the point that I can connect my hardware to emc , but I still have a few important questions.
I configured emc like you did, but when I run without atached electronica, the axis display shows me a "homing?"" sequence to the upper right of the screen.

Can I please ask you.

1) Where do you have home or limit switch on X axis? On the left, the right, both?

2) Is it a homing or a limit switch (or doesn't that matter, because in the end they do about the same) ?

3) Is the machine running into the homing contact and then slowly going away until contact is lost again?

4) Where do you have home or limit switches on Y axis? (If you stand in front of the machine, is it close to you or at the farthest distance?

Judging on what emc shows I have to guess that you have 2 homing switches which are both in the upper right corner of the machine if you would take a picture of it standing in front of the machine. Right on X and top on Y. Correct?

Kind regards,

Bart
educa

Postby BenJackson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 pm

educa wrote:1) Where do you have home or limit switch on X axis? On the left, the right, both?

2) Is it a homing or a limit switch (or doesn't that matter, because in the end they do about the same) ?

3) Is the machine running into the homing contact and then slowly going away until contact is lost again?

It's on the left, under the gantry, contacted by an extended M5 bolt (covered by a nylon bushing) on the rear V-wheel. I believe it's exactly as depicted in the plans (though I have not looked since the makerslide plans were released).

It's a home switch. You can see in the .hal file that the "home-x" net (arbitrary name) is connected to parport.0.pin-10-in-not (that is pin 10 inverted) and to axis.0.home-sw-in. I'm pretty sure home always defaults to minimum in EMC but you can probably invert the sign of HOME_SEARCH_VEL and set HOME_OFFSET to home elsewhere.

It searches for the switch at HOME_SEARCH_VEL and then backs off and re-homes at some lower speed. I made sure my switch would trigger soon enough that the carriage does not hit the physical endstop at HOME_SEARCH_VEL.

educa wrote:4) Where do you have home or limit switches on Y axis? (If you stand in front of the machine, is it close to you or at the farthest distance?

Close (again, minumum Y) and on the right. As in the plans at the time I built.

Imagine the cutting table (and the "axis" display) as a piece of graph paper. 0,0 is in the lower left. X increases to the right, Y increases up (or away from you on the cutting table). Not to be confused with computer graphics where Y increases down.
BenJackson

Postby educa » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:01 pm

oops

I understand your coordinate system, but in my emc setup (which looked like it was exactly your setup) the homing sequence seems to go to the upper right corner of the computer screen in axis.

Something wrong?

I suppose in your setup it should go to the lower left corner on the computer screen ?
educa

Postby sliptonic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Ben,
I recently upgraded to 2.5.0 linuxcnc and rastering stopped working for me. Vector cutting is still working great. I've made a bunch of changes related to the name change but I'm still getting this error in the console:

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/brad/linuxcnc/configs/2x_laser/M144", line 35, in <module>
    origin = stat.origin[axis]
AttributeError: 'linuxcnc.stat' object has no attribute 'origin'

Any idea what else I need to change?
sliptonic

Postby sliptonic » Tue May 01, 2012 8:37 pm

According to guys on #linuxcnc IRC channel: stat.origin was split into stat.g5x_offset and stat.g9x_offset

Renamed stat.origin to stat.g5x_offset and it worked.
sliptonic

Postby educa » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi,

I managed to setup a machine with the correct settings for working with the emc2 config files of Ben.
I can cut with ppi, set laser power,....

There is just 1 thing that doesn't seem to work somehow.

When I want to engrave a picture and then cut it out in the same action, then I would normally say one would use the following commands

G90
G21
M3 S1
M68 E0 Q0.2
F30000
O145 call [1111] [47.3] [145.0] [105.4] [90.0] [0.10] [0.10] [25]
M3 S0
G1 X25 Y25 F600
G1 Z-0.01 F40000
M3 S20
G1 X175 Y25 F600
G1 X175 Y175 F600
G1 X25 Y175 F600
G1 X25 Y25 F600
M3 S0
M2

The problem is that this script does show up perfectly in axis and it also engraves the picture I want , but then it stops. The line after the O145 call is never executed.

I have tried to find a solution myself and I found in the files 144.ngc and 145.ngc a command M2 which I removed (M2 = program end so I expected this to be the solution)

However, even after removing these 2 M2 commands, I still cannot run any command after the engraving action.

Is there anyone else having the same problem? Possibly a solution ?

Kind regards,

Bart Libert

EDIT: When I change the .nc file and put 2 times O145 call [1111] [47.3] [145.0] [105.4] [90.0] [0.10] [0.10] [25] each on their own line, then the emc2 does engrave both. Even if they both have a different image, location and width height. Its just other regular gcode that doesn't seem to be working.
educa

Postby jv4779 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Take a look at my modifications to Ben's linuxcnc configs.

https://github.com/jv4779/2x_laser

One of the biggest changes is the engraving is done in pure gcode (with a custom component) so that the resulting file can be touched off and combined with any other gcode without issue.
jv4779

PreviousNext

Return to Build Logs