Custom Quantum/Hadron PCB Heated Build Plate

Electronics related to CNC

Thanks! keep the PM reservations coming :)

Postby frob » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:05 pm

mhensen wrote:I hope I did my reservation for the heated bed..

Yes, thanks!
Thanks to everyone who reserved already!
So far we're just under 20 reservations.

Last night i added a couple transistors and tweaked the layout a bit so the led's will be controlled by any logic signal and run at a constant current no matter the voltage.
I also made a lot of progress on the ORDuino, and related goodies to go into the same PCB order -
i will post a quick summary in a different thread.
frob

Re: Custom Quantum/Hadron PCB Heated Build Plate

Postby lx007 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:18 pm

I would like to confirm my reservation for the Hadron PCB Heated Build Plate.
lx007

Postby rogue555 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:39 pm

I'd also like to confirm my reservation.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing how components would be affected by the higher temps (especially microcontrollers, etc.).

-Matt
rogue555

Postby Zat German » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:43 pm

Hey frob, what kind of tests are you going to do to confirm the heatbed design works? I am just curious because I have seen comments that not many have been successful at producing working and reliable heatbeds that are not the Mk1.
Zat German

Testing

Postby frob » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Zat German wrote:Hey frob, what kind of tests are you going to do to confirm the heatbed design works? I am just curious because I have seen comments that not many have been successful at producing working and reliable heatbeds that are not the Mk1.

Its basically a big resistor array with a few optional taps for different voltages. testing it is just measuring the resistance to confirm its in spec, and repeating that measurement at different temperatures to make sure the R/Temp curve is close to what it should be in theory.
After that i'll connect it up to the ORDduino and let it run at different voltages and check for warp, current draw, and temperature area distribution with an IR thermometer.
Lastly there will be a 24-hour burn-in test of both together at the highest practical temperature, and checking for any degradation /warp / resistance change after it cools down.

People have had difficulty because of the inconsistency of copper plating that can exist. Thats why for better predictability it has been recommended to use 1-sided etched copper with no plating.
In my case the design requires a few plated-through vias, so it is copper plated (1/2 Oz plating on top of 1/2 Oz laminated copper foil).
I discussed this with my supplier and they claim their plating thickness tolerance is +/- 20% which means overall tolerance should be +/- 10% which is more than good enough.
I will confirm that by destructive tests on one of the protos - basically slicing the board into thin strips taken from several locations and comparing the actual copper thickness in different areas against a micrometer microscope scale.
If it turns out that plating is too inconsistent, it is a simple matter to modify the design for production to avoid the plated through holes. the downside to that is it may not be possible to keep the Quantum and Hadron formats on both sides of the same board, and may not allow a 24V option or allow as much of the top surface area to be obstruction free (may need some through hole jumpers along one or two edges). In that case i will need to order those as separate production batches , which may not be a bad idea anyways at this point.
Another contingency option is to rework the design to use 2Oz copper (1/2 Oz plating on top of 1.5Oz copper foil) thus tolerance should improve by a factor of 2.
frob

Reservations/ preorders /shipping

Postby frob » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:59 pm

As i'll be ordering a large production batch during the coming week, and they will be shipping out before the end of the month,
For those that want the Heated Build Plate only (not as a free bonus with the ORDuinos) it would also be a good time to start submitting your payments ;-)

Price is $25 US for buildlog members - limited time special, until they ship out or the first production batch is sold out, whichever happens first :)

In North America shipping via Fedex ground (or UPS in the US) is safer and probably quicker.
That will cost $15, and allow you a handful of boards in the same package if you so desire.
You may also choose parcel post at $10 if you prefer and you're ordering a single Heated Build Plate.
Canadian orders i have to calculate taxes which varies by province, so please confirm with me your shipping address before making any payments.
For Canadian orders only, if you prefer you can pay in Canadian funds.

For all other destinations, couriers are unreasonably expensive, so its parcel post only.
Transit time varies between 4 days and 2 weeks. no tracking but minimal insurance coverage ($100) is included.
250 grams is $10 (1 Heated Build Plate)
500 grams is $20 (2-3 Heated Build Plates)
etc...

Thanks in advance for your orders and support!

Sincerely,
Frantz

PS My Paypal address is listed in my profile here on buildlog. (look under occupation)
I'd rather not publish it in a publicly viewable forum message as there are too many spammers that troll for them to add to their mailing lists. :roll:
frob

Postby Enraged » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:29 pm

I sent you a PM, let me know how much it would be for a board shipped to V8R1A2 Victoria BC. Thanks!
Enraged

Postby KyleAdam » Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Printed circuit boards used to be built on ceramic or FR4 substrates coated in photosensitive resin. This exposes the board to UV light with a mask or stencil between the light source and the board.Printed circuit boards used to be built on ceramic or FR4 substrates coated in photosensitive resin. This exposes the board to UV light with a mask or stencil between the light source and the board.
KyleAdam

Previous

Return to Electronics