Saving .ai or ,cdr to engrave

General discussion of laser machines

Saving .ai or ,cdr to engrave

Postby SScnc » Sat May 26, 2012 8:44 pm

I've spent a lot of time today trying to open an .AI file (and/or an .cdr file) in LaserCad to engrave. It keeps opening in vector as if I want to cut it out with no "fills". However, I want to engrave it in acrylic.

I'll attach the .AI file below, it came from here: http://www.logotypes101.com/free_vector_logo/80039/Winchester.aspx How do I save or import it so it can be engraved ?

Thanks for any guidance.
Attachments
winchester1.JPG
winchester1.JPG (19.48 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
Winchester.ai
(482.31 KiB) Downloaded 1186 times
SScnc

Re: Saving .ai or ,cdr to engrave

Postby twehr » Sat May 26, 2012 11:36 pm

SScnc wrote:I've spent a lot of time today trying to open an .AI file (and/or an .cdr file) in LaserCad to engrave. It keeps opening in vector as if I want to cut it out with no "fills". However, I want to engrave it in acrylic.

LaserCAD looks at the individual layers and, depending on their color, sets the cut/engrave/speed/power to match the last use of that color. So, if you have a red layer, for example, and the last job you ran that had a red layer had that layer set to cut, that is how it will see the red layer you just imported.

All you have to do, after import, is to set the engrave/cut/power/speed you want for that color layer.

IF you set a color layer to engrave but it still shows as outline on the screen, then you need to set the User Parameter for simulating engraving. That will cause filled vectors (engraved objects) to appear filled on the screen.
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Re: Saving .ai or ,cdr to engrave

Postby SScnc » Sun May 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks very much Tim. I've had to be away from laser work lately, I thought it was something that needed to be done in AI or Corel, didn't think it would be that easy !

Your sig really applies to this :D

Thanks again !!!
SScnc

Return to General