DSP Rastering Bonus Option?

Discussions and help on this commercial controller.

Moderator: twehr

DSP Rastering Bonus Option?

Postby iGull » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:50 am

Hi All

Discovered this during an 'error' I made while setting up a file in adobe illustrator cs5 - perhaps it's how it SHOULD work, but I don't think so :D

I export all my data from illustrator via dxf. To get there, I make sure that everything is ungrouped and compound paths are released. Added to this, I also ensure that text is converted to paths, ungrouped and again, any compound paths released - on top of that, you need to ensure that (if engraving) the centres are filled with white in letters that need it (abde etc.) - they turn black when the compound path is released. I use red for cutting, blue for marking (low power cut) and black for rastering.
I've used this all the time without issue - until I forgot to convert the text to paths and exported it via dxf - and the rastering continued to work !!!!! I still can't believe it and I don't understand how it is doing it - dxf format normally isn't friendly to text, and my text was on a circular path to compound the issue ! I use 'Autocad 2000, 16 colour, jpeg, preserve appearance' as the export options.
I'm extremely happy about this find, it saves me a load of time - hopefully it will do that for others.
I haven't done any investigation other than changing the font to something oddball that wasn't on the 'PC' in case it was a coincidence - it worked fine, just accepting it as a bonus :lol:

This is where Tim chimes in and asks 'didn't you see that option in the manual?' :D :D :D

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Re: DSP Rastering Bonus Option?

Postby iGull » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:12 pm

:oops:

Maybe I spoke too soon, I just checked the Mac in the workshop when I was working this afternoon, it's export prefs in Illustrator are set to Autocad 2004/2005/2006, 256 colours, jpeg and (wait for it :-) ) 'preserve appearance along with 'outline text' :oops: :oops: :oops:

That'll be why it works then - anyway, it's still a whole lot easier than doing it mandraulically - I really didn't think that lasercad was THAT smart :D

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Re: DSP Rastering Bonus Option?

Postby twehr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:39 pm

iGull wrote::oops:

Maybe I spoke too soon, I just checked the Mac in the workshop when I was working this afternoon, it's export prefs in Illustrator are set to Autocad 2004/2005/2006, 256 colours, jpeg and (wait for it :-) ) 'preserve appearance along with 'outline text' :oops: :oops: :oops:

That'll be why it works then - anyway, it's still a whole lot easier than doing it mandraulically - I really didn't think that lasercad was THAT smart :D

Cheers

Neil

Read my sig...
tim
--
"The answer is usually easy and obvious once you know what it is." tw

DIYLaser Blog
SemiHomemadeTools.com
twehr

Return to Commercial DSP CO2 Laser Engraving/ Cutter Controller