Quantum ORD Alternative

Post your build logs here

Re: Quantum ORD Alternative

Postby Liberty4Ever » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 am

Dang, some people just can't follow instructions. :D

I'd guess that your arrangement with the vertical MakerSlide rotated 90 degrees would result in a weaker frame as the X axis is zipping back and forth, but more beefy corner brackets and the general over design of the stout aluminum extrusion is still overkill. Similarly, the extrusion head mass on the gantry cantilevered farther out in space is inherently a weaker design, but again, aluminum extrusion is a helluva drug, so you'll probably be OK. It does look more compact and space saving. I'm anxious to see a video of it running, and read your impressions of how well it works, and whether there were any problems resulting from your coloring outside the lines.

Nice manual hacking on aluminum with hand tools. Ugh. Glad I'm not doing that. I'd have definitely drilled the holes for the NEMA 17 and not gone fancy and made the NEMA 17 to NEMA 23 slots unless I was fairly certain I'd be upgrading to NEMA 23 motors. That's a lot of extra fabrication by hand, presumably with no extra gain if you're only using NEMA 17 motors.

The rest of my Hadron parts should be here this week. We'll see if I can resist the urge to redesign it once I'm staring at the parts. At least for now, my goal is to stay as close to the design intent as I can, given the fact that I was forced to scrounge for parts and do some fabricating of my own.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby naPS » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:04 am

Yeah, most of the wiggle will be in X as the machine is zipping back and forth, but I honestly thing that a lot of the Z wobble is made worse by the relatively weak support at the bottom of the vertical columns. If there was some easy way to turn these things 45 degrees, I think it would improve the overall stiffness of the bot immensely, and really help cut down on the Z wobble issues folks are having.

Hmmm... this has me thinking about this now, as I know Misumi makes adjustable brackets... or at least ones on a 45. They also have the metal plate fabricating service... I wonder if this is something that can actually be done relatively easily.
naPS

Postby Pazu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:21 am

@Liberty4Ever: You are right that the slot cuts are extra work. But I actually did them so that I can use NEMA17 instead of the NEMA14 for the standard Quantum bot in the future.

Would surely report back when I start printing.
Pazu

Postby Liberty4Ever » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:09 am

Pazu wrote:@Liberty4Ever: You are right that the slot cuts are extra work. But I actually did them so that I can use NEMA17 instead of the NEMA14 for the standard Quantum bot in the future.

I just realized my mistake and came back here to fix it. What I should have said is that I'd have drilled the holes for the NEMA 17 instead of making the slots for the NEMA 14 and NEMA 17, if I knew I was only going to use the NEMA 17 motors.

I do look forward to hearing more about your project, including seeing the finished product, hopefully in a video printing parts!
Liberty4Ever

Postby Pazu » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 am

Commissioned!!

Finally got all my parts in and commissioned the printer. I had to replace the original 2 Z-axis NEMA14 for new 5.5kg/cm NEMA17 because the gantry is much too heavy. Other than that, the rest worked out fine. Current build volume is 140X x 90Y x 100Z. It's a little weird I guess but I have to wait till I get my hands on some MakerSlide before I can get the original build volume I want.

Anyway here's some videos.

The finished Herringbone gears.

This was the very first print. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20996

With the extruder tuned-in.

I also upgraded my nozzle from 0.5mm to 0.35mm. Upgraded to Marlin and Slic3r!

DONE!
Pazu

Postby mattrsch » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:23 am

:lol:
At about 30 seconds in your second video it looks like your printers XY system operates by creating localized space-time distortions :)
mattrsch

Postby Liberty4Ever » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:35 am

mattrsch wrote:At about 30 seconds in your second video it looks like your printers XY system operates by creating localized space-time distortions :)

Bwa ha ha.

Slow printing... goofy fast traverses!
Liberty4Ever

Postby Pazu » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 am

LOL. I'm using mostly default values from Slic3r except for the retracts. :)

Now that I look at it again, the traverse is pretty damn good!
Pazu

Postby Pazu » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 am

Getting good prints.

The ORD bot has given me new found reliability. I can now confidently leave my prints unattended.

Prints not adhering well to the print bed has always been an issue for me. Either the print would totally fail to stick or lifting would occur soon as the print go a few mm high.

Using the ABS juice method initially gave me good results but large prints still lift. Reading thru the thread, I decided to try nophead's method. I pre-heat the bed to 130C and print the first layer and have the bed reduced to 100C after. This together with brimming completely fixed my lifting issue! I think there is also a variation in how you apply the ABS juice. I apply mine now on a cold bed using moderate thickness. It's definitely not as thin as how nophead described his.

Anyway, just want to share some nice prints.

My next problem was de-lamination. Using the previous 0.5mm nozzle, I never had problems with this printing at 0.25mm layer. The layers were always very well bonded. I also always use only 2 loop perimeter.

As I switched to a new nozzle (0.35mm, or maybe it's 0.3mm???) and continued to print as before, delamination of prints is a big issue.

I printed this monitor mount and decided to give it a simple strength test and the part broken without effort.

To solve this, I now print at 0.2mm with 4 loops perimeter for parts that need strength. Also I think it'd better to orientate the parts so that it will not fail on layering axis.

Comparing the quality with previous sprinter, Marlin is visibly superior. Also emaker's version of the software produced a lot of surface bumps.

I went a bit over-zealous with the flame polishing!

I think this concludes my build log. Thanks to bart for the great design.
Pazu

Postby flickerfly » Wed May 08, 2013 2:08 am

Looks like you're using a bowden extruder. Have you had any problems with that?
flickerfly

Previous

Return to Build Logs