"New kit" BOM with sources

Questions, Suggestions, Tips, Etc

Re: "New kit" BOM with sources

Postby GiriPod » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:01 am

Looking through the lastest BOM, I'm not seeing a laser power supply.

This looks like a suitable one from LightObjects:

http://www.lightobject.com/40W-PWM-CO2- ... y-P71.aspx

Still wonder about what I'm going to use instead of makerslide as it looks like availability is out at least 1.5 months and isn't available cut to length for the 2.x laser from Inventables.
GiriPod

Postby SpacedCowboy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 pm

I chose the same one you did :) ... the PSU is C28015, about a third of the way down the page.

I guess I ought to mention that I also found a source for B30037 @ inventables.com. As far as I can tell, the only things left are:

• B19011 x1 (Interface panel plate) - Needs to fabricated, it's a custom piece of plastic I think.
  • B30028 x3 (Delrin V-wheel assembly) - I *think* these are going to be included in the parts kit Bart is sending out, but I'm not sure.
  • C17010 x1 (2.x tube alignment bracket) - Needs to fabricated, it's a custom piece of plastic I think.
  • C19010 x1 (2.x table surface) - I'm leaning towards the Aluminum egg-crate, using braces in the corners of the table assembly to support it
  • D19007 x1 (Cover window) - I'm assuming this is just a piece of clear plastic with some holes drilled in it ?
  • D19013 x1 (Electronic module base) - I think this is just a piece of chipboard (or similar) that can be screwed into place
  • SJG_SKINS x1 (Skin for the machine) - It's not clear to me if Bart will continue to supply these. If not, I guess we'll be getting them cut.
  • SJG_WATER_TUBING x1 (Tubing to connect the water pump to the laser) - I just don't know the dimension (1/4", 1/2",...) of the tubing to specify until someone with a laser can tell me :)

I have an order in for the makerslide, but yeah, waiting for 6 weeks sucks. Cutting it ought not be *too difficult - my mitre saw isn't particularly accurate but I just tend to cut slightly wide then nibble away at the edge until I have the correct length. I'm assuming it's the same difficulty to cut as 80/20 extrusion, which the saw goes through like butter (with an Al-cutting blade :) )

Once I have a definitive list of things and sources, I'll probably redirect the page at http://0x0000ff.com/laser/ to a page on Bart's wiki - might as well put all the information together.

Cheers
Simon
SpacedCowboy

Postby mattrsch » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 pm

SpacedCowboy wrote:I

• SJG_WATER_TUBING x1 (Tubing to connect the water pump to the laser) - I just don't know the dimension (1/4", 1/2",...) of the tubing to specify until someone with a laser can tell me :)

My 40W tube had barbs for 3/8" tubing. When I built mine I was under the impression that many tubes were setup for 1/4" tubing. It might be easiest to wait for your laser and buy tubing accordingly. I just used regular clear vinyl tube.
mattrsch

Postby Liberty4Ever » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:01 am

I'm not building a laser yet, but I plan on building a scaled up version of the 2.x in a few months.

Waiting on Makerrslide availability to get your project going is a major problem. Hopefully, that won't be a problem for builders in a few months as Makerslide is kept in inventory.

I was unable to get a Hadron 3D printer kit, but I did get a 2m piece of Makerslide as a leftover in the last run. There was probably a bit of unintentional "squeaky wheel gets the grease" on that deal. Anyway, I had no trouble cutting the Makerslide using a decent carbide blade on my powered miter saw. The blade was made to cut wood, but I use it for plastics and the occasional aluminum extrusion. I'd recommend going a little slower than you would when cutting wood. My old and inexpensive miter saw produced a very nice surface finish.

I also hope we can soon get some regular availability of hard coated Makerslide.

When I plumb my laser tube, I'll use a heat gun (hair dryer is OK) to warm the end of Tygon tubing to soften it so it requires very little force to push it onto the glass barbs, and while it's still warm, I'll slide a piece of clear heat shrink tubing over it and heat it to shrink it, thus guaranteeing there's a waterproof seal when the Tygon tubing cools in the new shape.

I'm looking forward to building a laser engraver and cutter... just as soon as I have all of this 3D printing stuff behind me.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby evokanivo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 am

SpacedCowboy wrote:SJG_SKINS x1 (Skin for the machine) - It's not clear to me if Bart will continue to supply these. If not, I guess we'll be getting them cut.

Bart mentioned that he will be providing them in the makerslide store.

Possible changes:
-You have 23 x Bearing_5_16_5 listed separately from the corresponding assemblies, which are all bought as packs, so it looks like you're repeating the same items when adding up the price.
-Items HN1032SS, SHMS103216N, and SN1032SS (the 10-32 screws and nuts) are only part of the tube bracket assemblies, and I think the 2.x kits include the entire bracket assembly, not just the bracket
evokanivo

Postby evokanivo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:25 am

There was some discussion regarding 6.35 x 5mm couplings, which are hard to find. I plan to swap the 1/4" thick x 12" and 14" shafts with 5mm shafts, allowing me to use the more common 5mm - 5mm couplings.

This way I can avoid using dumpstercnc.com couplings (5mm x 1/4"), which are delrin. Maybe it makes no difference, but I would rather go with steel. Misumi's similar style clamps are ~$20 aluminum or $30 steel.

Obviously this also requires using of 5mm bore pulleys.

Update: You could save about $50 if you swap the PSU MPJA PSU with this one http://www.kelinginc.net/SwitchingPowerSupply.html, KL-201-24, referred to in documentation as KL-210-24. I assume you won't be running XY at the same time as Z, so you don't need all that amperage.
evokanivo

Postby JakeS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:31 pm

For the BOM of the frame, I think there is a part missing, 2 thin corner brackets. It is in the drawing (30027 rev 5) but not in the BOM. Can anyone verify?
Jake
JakeS

missing brackets

Postby bdring » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:21 pm

It looks like you are right. Those were added with the change to Makerslide and included in the upgrade kits. I must not have updated the BOM. If this causes any problems, I can sell those on the store, so you can add them to your order.

It is fixed now.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Postby SpacedCowboy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm

The above updates (courtesy of evokanivo, JakeS and Bart) are now taken into account at http://0x0000ff.com/laser/ as well.

Also, I've started to keep track of shipping costs, although these aren't exposed as yet. I know these will vary from person to person, but I figure a ballpark-estimate is better than none at all...
SpacedCowboy

Postby JakeS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:01 pm

I had another question about the BOM. The double bearing idler wheel entry B17023 refers to B30041, but the link on the B30041 doesn't go anywhere and I can't find an equivalent part on the Makerslide store. Is this the part? https://www.inventables.com/technologies/smooth-idler-wheel-kit

Jake
JakeS

PreviousNext

Return to 2.x Laser Support