xnaron

Re: Chinese laser cutter: Designing new tube brackets

Postby steppenshoe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:15 am

Looks great!

DT
steppenshoe

Postby Enraged » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 am

wow, that looks fantastic. Can you post your model to thingiverse (or did I miss it)?
Enraged

Postby xnaron » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:31 am

I printed out a second set of knobs to lock it in place. Thumb tight it is solid. I was planning to line the bed of the cradle with servo tape. It is high quality black foam tap. I am going to leave the sticker on the tube side so it does not stick to the tube. It just cradles it in place and uses zip ties to hold it. I am going to put some foam on the other side of the tube to cushion the zip ties.

As for posting the files these are pretty specific to my machine. I may put them on thingiverse but I want to try them first and see if they will work like I hope.

Oh and if anybody has any concerns/gotchas with this design please feel free to chime in. I have tried to think things through on this but I might of missed something.
Attachments
CIMG4171.JPG
xnaron

Postby xnaron » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:20 am

Here is the machine and you can see the existing clamps and how these new ones will be oriented. Man black PLA is sure hard to photograph
Attachments
CIMG4173.JPG
xnaron

Postby iGull » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:53 pm

@xnaron
Looking good - thumbscrews are a good adjustment - you may need a locknut or jamnut on one side or the other to ensure nothing moves after alignment. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to your results. Being easily able to retweak an alignment is a big plus on these systems. Having a 3D printer certainly makes life easier - especially when having to re-iterate through a design - I can feel another project coming on :D

@mattrsch
You're missing the z axis in your drawing - all your alignments are in yaw, not pitch. xnaron's document is correct (albeit a bit chingrish :D ) As shown in his pdf, when you have mirrors 1-2 and 2-3 fully aligned on centres, you have no adjustment left bar the laser pitch, yaw and z to ensure concentricity with the final lens and the tilt of the beam to the worktable.

An interesting point in the pdf was switching the lens from curve to top (where it should be surely?) to curve to bottom and repeating the cuts - then choose the best result - must try that at some point for interests sake if nothing else.

Cheers

Neil
EMOs are a sign of weakness ...
iGull

Postby xnaron » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:52 am

Here is a video with a bit more detail.

xnaron

Postby xnaron » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:23 pm

I installed the brackets today. They worked very well. Easy to adjust the tube and then lock it into place all with the thumb nuts.

xnaron

Postby sports.racer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 am

Very nice. I need an extruder!
sports.racer

Previous

Return to General Discussion