Sheets of double-sided adhesive

Where you can find stuff.

Sheets of double-sided adhesive

Postby BenJackson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 pm

I know 3M makes some powerful double-sided adhesives that you can get in sheet form. You can apply one side of this to a sheet of acrylic and then cut the acrylic+adhesive stack to be left with a peel-and-stick acrylic piece. I haven't found a good source for any of the "nice" (commercial grade) stuff. Any recommendations?
BenJackson

Re: Sheets of double-sided adhesive

Postby Enraged » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:07 am

I'm not sure about sheets, but in my first co-op job I needed some strong 3M tape to try out, and I ended up contacting 3M and found a local(ish) distributor. I called them and they gave me a good price on some small sample rolls. Might be worth a shot.
Enraged

Postby mondo50m » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Do not know if this is what you are looking for or not, but Joanns fabric store has sheets of adhesive for crafters called 'peel n stick." I believe there are 4 sheets in the package for around 5 bucks
mondo50m

Postby andrewblanejr » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 am

Hey Ben,

I also contacted 3M directly and asked where to buy the specific 3M product i was after. In my case they ended up referring me to some auto body and auto paint stores, i had no idea the stuff was auto related, but they did. Good luck searching through the 3M catalog though, even online and searchable the thing is VAST!

/Andrew
andrewblanejr

Postby Liberty4Ever » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 pm

I've used 3M rolls of double stick tape from McMaster-Carr, MC# 77185A25.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3451/=irjew3

$80 for a roll of tape that's 3" X 36 yards seems excessive, but I spent about an hour yesterday looking online and I couldn't find it substantially cheaper. I did find other double stick tape at eBay and various online stores, but some of the less expensive stuff is clearly not suitable - example: tape used to join rolls of paper in a large printing operation. Other tape may be good enough for your application at lower cost. I avoided any tape with a Kraft paper release. Three possibilities include carpet tape, golf grip tape, and auto accessory mounting film or tape. The latter was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I believe it's used to adhere automotive trim and even spoilers to the rear deck. It's strong stuff but not much cheaper per square inch, although sometimes available in smaller quantities at lower price.

I don't use enough double sticky tape to justify experimenting with possible replacements for the expensive tape I use very occasionally. It came up yesterday because I'm making a couple of batches of reverse laser engraved device labels for a couple of CNC machines that I'm retrofitting, but I don't make device labels commercially. The $80 roll works out to about 2 cents per square inch. From that perspective, it doesn't seem so expensive after all.
Apparently, I didn't build that! :-)
Liberty4Ever

Postby TLHarrell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Another option, available from hobby stores, is servo tape. Used for attaching control servos to flat RC car chassis. It's resistant to just about everything and sticks like a (well, something that sticks really, really well...). Comes in 3/4"-2" wide rolls.
40w Full Spectrum Engineering 5th Gen Hobby 20"x12" w/ Rotary Engraver
South San Francisco Bay Area - Sales and Support Representative for Full Spectrum Engineering
408-47-LASER - Skype: whitelightlaser-thomas - Facebook: White Light Laser
TLHarrell

Postby greenvandan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:53 pm

I get stuff sometimes from Carolina Tape and Supply. They would be a good place to check with for adhesive sheets that can be laser cut but not sure about wide sheets as the original poster seemed to be looking for.
greenvandan

Postby royco » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:55 am

http://www.tekra.com/

They sell the stuff you are looking for but they are wholesale only. If you contact them and get a sales rep you can probably buy a sample quantity of several sheets.
royco

Return to Sources for stuff