New US assembled 20"x12" 40w 5th Gen Hobby Laser by FSL

CNC/Laser Related Items Only Please

New US assembled 20"x12" 40w 5th Gen Hobby Laser by FSL

Postby JasonFSL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:06 am

Our new laser is ready. 20"x12" laser reach, easily removable floor enables unlimited material size. New sliding focus mechanism, better tube, enhanced ethernet/USB controller. RetinaEngrave highly intuitive direct print control software has new features like 3D rastering and vector cross hatching. This model was completely designed and assembled in Las Vegas. The gantry hardware is all CNC machined for greater precision and the beam combiner is now built into the mirror #1 assembly.

Check out our kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fsl ... sembled-i/
This will help us ramp up production.

JasonFSL

My Thoughts

Postby bdring » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 am

A couple people have asked me for my thoughts on this project.

This laser is being done by Full Spectrum Engineering (AKA... FSE, fslaser). Full Spectrum was started by Henry Liu around the same time I started buildlog.net and my original laser. We were both doing laser controllers and he contacted me to discuss the topic. We became good friends and have traded a lot of ideas over the years. He was moving ahead much faster on the controller than I was, so I eventually gave up trying to keep up. We are still friends and still trade ideas and help each other solve problems. I had a design issue recently and gladly gave me advice on what other companies might consider a trade secret. He has actually offered me a job on more than one occasion. You don't see Henry in the video. I think he is a little camera shy, but he is in the photo of the whole company.

He has sold a lot of lasers and knows the business very well. As I understand it....Most of the time he has been taking stripped down Chinese lasers, upgrading them and adding his own controller and software. The software is a true printer driver type control system equivalent to "Brand E". This new laser is a complete redesign and is assembled in the US. I saw this laser at the Maker Faire in San Mateo. He was about 3 booths away from me. He was had a big crowd and I think the laser was cutting the whole weekend.

Bottom Line: I wish them all the best. I gave them a token sponsorship to show my good will. I hope this makes lasers more accessible and helps put a factory of every desktop. If I was in the market for a laser and not addicted to building my own stuff, I might buy one.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: New US assembled 20"x12" 40w 5th Gen Hobby Laser by FSL

Postby macona » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 pm

My question is, do they have a manufacturing license from the FDA? Selling imported lasers is one thing, building your own product and selling it brings on a whole new level of regulation fun.

Where I think they will run into trouble is with the removable bottom. This will make the machine uncontained and require a variance. Not many of those are given out from what I hear.

This may be a pretty serious matter. Things could come to a rather abrupt stop if the regulations are not followed: U.S. Code of Federal Register (CFR 21 subchapter J, Part I sections 1002 – 1040.11
macona

Re: New US assembled 20"x12" 40w 5th Gen Hobby Laser by FSL

Postby macona » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Looks like they have filed the paperwork. Cool.
macona

Return to For Sale and Wanted