Speeds above 15mm/s are good for ?

General discussion of laser machines

Speeds above 15mm/s are good for ?

Postby educa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi,

I'm designing my own electronics controller based on arduino (but with added periperals for more power).

Now I was wondering the following.

Are there situations where a machine has to go above 15mm/s for CUTTING (so not for raster engraving, there you need a lot higher speeds).

If somebody knows some faster speeds and what they use it for, could you please mention it here? The only thing I currently can imagine is for paper cutting...

Also, I suppose that for example if you cut paper at more then 15mm/s , then you can using PPI also easily cut paper at 15mm/s or less ? It is just a little less efficient, but it still would work ok ?

Kind regards,

Bart
educa

Re: Speeds above 15mm/s are good for ?

Postby macona » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 am

Paper, mylar, kapton, thin styrene, marking materials (not engraving), scoring, cutting, etc. A lot of things move faster than 15mm/sec. 15mm/sec is actually really slow.
macona

Postby educa » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 am

Could you maybe (please) tell me some speeds higher then 15mm/s which you use and what kind of material/thickness you cut/engrave with it ?

For example: Paper 80g/m² at 300mm/s (which is a number I just invented, I really don't know if this is a good setting)

I'm currently developing my own ramping system and it would be nice to know upto what speed I should be able to go.

For that speed, I don't have to take into account raster engraving, since thats a totally other engine which doesn't have that complexity as vector movements.

So it would be so nice to know what you cut and at what speeds.

For most wood and acrylics cutting I guess 15mm/s will be allready very fast, since you cut these with PPI to get better results and if a minimum pulse width is 3ms for the laser, then you can max +- shoot 300 times / sec. For 400PPI (+- 16 PPM) that means a speed of max +- 18.75mm/s but I guess for wood and acryllics it is way slower in real life ?
educa

Postby macona » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:45 am

It is all dependent on the laser power and material. On the 80 watt machine we used to have you could cut thin acrylic pretty darn fast. I dont have any numbers for you since that has been a long time and they only used a percentage for speed.

And cutting speed is not the only thing. There is the rapids between cuts. You dont want to wait while it slowly move across the table at 35IPM (15mm/s).

I was doing 45IPM here and could have gone faster:

Can you imagine if I could only go 35ipm between holes? it would have made the job about 5 times longer.
macona

Return to General