The Chimera Project - Laser + 3D Printing

Post your build logs here

Hello 3D Printing World

Postby bdring » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:17 pm

My first real object.

Is there a "Hello World" object that people print? That sounded like a lot of time, so I just printed a B. I need a real printing surface. This started to move after a while so I held it in place for 10 minutes.
b1.JPG
Still on it's raft

b2.JPG

b3.JPG
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: The Chimera Project - Laser + 3D Printing

Postby benwyne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Great work Bart!!! I'm really pleased that progress is being made. It's a shame about your bowden approach, I was aiming to use a big'ol NEMA23 plus makerbot mk5 pulley. Are you thinking of using a bigger stepper aswell?

My mendel build is coming along well so I'm also looking at 3D printable laser cutter with great interest.

-B
benwyne

Slightly Better Bed

Postby bdring » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:18 pm

I have a really cheesy bed that I am doing my printing on and the parts don't stick real well. It is basically a scrap of Acrylic that I scuffed up a little. Just for fun I decided to run a cross hatch with the laser. I ran it about 0.50 in out of focus to get a wider sloppier line. I missed selecting 2 lines in the CAM program so there a couple gaps, but it should not matter. Eventually I will get a heated bed, so this is just temporary. I am going to use some magnets to hold the piece in place.

It was fun not having to even remove the part to go to laser mode.
bed1.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: The Chimera Project - Laser + 3D Printing

Postby lasersafe1 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:30 am

Perhaps you could build a table using the toe pads from 1000 Gecko lizards. That'll hold.
lasersafe1

More Printing

Postby bdring » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:46 am

I decided to try a nice long run to see how well the extruder is working. I saw a lot of these bottle openers at the Maker Faire.

This took about 45 minutes to run. The extruder ran flawlessly. My laser etched bed held it down firmly as you can see by the nice raft. I forgot to insert the penny before the picture was taken, but trust me, I am enjoying a beer right now.
opener1.JPG

opener2.JPG
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Build Logs