Delta ORD Bot

Post your build logs here

Delta ORD Bot

Postby bdring » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Edit: I renamed this topic from ORD Camp 2013

Time flies, and another ORD Camp is coming in two weeks. ORD Camp is a Chicago based tech weekend. They encourage you to bring something to show off.

Last year I brainstormed, designed, fabricated and built the ORD Bot in a mad dash the week before the event. That is where the name (ORD Bot) came from of course. This year I am getting started a week early and am thinking about what to bring.

I am leaning towards building a Delta Bot style printer using Makerslide. I know there are a few out in the wild, but I would start with a clean sheet of paper (or CAD folder. I guess). I think it would be cool to make a super clean, design with nearly zero exposed wires. It might be a lot to do in 2 weeks, but could be fun. What do you think...am I crazy.
Bart
"If you didn't build it, you will never own it."
bdring
Site Admin

Re: ORD Camp 2013

Postby canadianavenger » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:08 am

yes you are crazy... but in a good way :) Have fun with it, sounds like a great challenge!
canadianavenger

Postby bloomingtonmike » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 am

bloomingtonmike

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 am

It is by invite only and the list was pretty filled back in September.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Need Azteeg X3

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 am

I don't have a controller :cry: Does any one have an unused Azteeg X3? I will pay for it or replace it when Roy is back in stock. I will also owe you a big favor. (I can be pretty handy at making things)
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bloomingtonmike » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 am

bdring wrote:It is by invite only and the list was pretty filled back in September.

Call for attendance is for next year so I guess 2013 is out LOL.

The reprapdiscount ebay guys got me a lcd in 4 days via fedex. They have a RAMPS setup.

There is also their all in one RUMBA deal that ships Jan 10. http://www.indiegogo.com/rumba?c=gallery

Mikie
Last edited by bloomingtonmike on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloomingtonmike

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 am

I am using my prototype Viki for the display. I would rather not use a fugly RAMPS board.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Postby bloomingtonmike » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:03 am

Posted a ink to their RUMBA above.

I backed the Viki too so hope to get one end of Jan. Ill sell the chinese LCD later I guess or in the box of parts it will go.
bloomingtonmike

Re: Delta ORD Bot

Postby bdring » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 pm

I played with a few design ideas last night and a delta bot in 10 days looks doable. I am going to stop by the hobby shop on my way home to check out their links and rods.

I am going to try to do this with only one order from McMaster and one from Digikey. :o

I will use a bowden extruder to start with. I want to keep the end effector as light as possible. Later down the road I thought it might be fun to experiment with a tiny NEMA 14 at the nozzle working in tandem with a larger stepper at the other end of the filament. That is if I am unhappy with the bowden.

With a delta, you can't hide all the wires because you need to at least power and thermister wires to the nozzle. I am going to use very high strand count "kinkless" test lead wires for the power. That flexibility might give me some more options.

My friend Edward Ford was also invited to ORD Camp and is working on something to bring too, so we having a dual design review tonight. I ran early ORD Bot design ideas past him.

BTW: I got several offers for X3's, so I got one. :D. It would have been a crime to use a red hot plate and fugly RAMPS.
Bart
bdring
Site Admin

Re: Delta ORD Bot

Postby SystemsGuy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:33 pm

I think it's a great idea! My Makerslide delta has been up and running for a couple of months, but it's not really pretty - and it deserves to be! I wandered down the Openbeam route with Johann, and it's proven - again - that trying to use extruded aluminum beam as linear rail is just a bad idea!

FYI, there is a working version of Repetier Firmware with delta support in addition to the work Johann did with Marlin. There's also some activity porting to the TI Stellaris and I've been playing with a Due version - don't think either of those will be ready for ORDCamp this year!
SystemsGuy

Next

Return to Build Logs