OrdBot Hadron - RepRapDiscount

Post your build logs here

OrdBot Hadron - RepRapDiscount

Postby SystemsGuy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 am

So I had passed my Ordbot on to a friend, and decided I wanted another one - no kits to be found, and I was less than impressed with the quality of the parts I received from Progware. I'd decided to take time during Christmas holiday to cut a set for myself, and did - learning experience, they will work, but they are not the prettiest in the world!

About the time I finished cutting mine, RepRapDiscount announced their kits, and I decided to give it a shot - I had another friend wanting to get started, figured I'd order one.

So I ordered a kit for RepRapDiscount - I've ordered a lot of electronics from them in the past, and was always impressed with the quality of the parts, the excellent packing, and the rapid turnaround time from Hong Kong.

The kit I ordered did not ship on time due to some packaging delays from one of RepRapDiscounts suppliers - and I was pushing to get it as early as possible to leave myself some breathing room before I had to show it off - so a bit of back and forth, but finally sorted - shipped on the 21st, arrived in London bright and early on the 23rd!

Packaging was good - looks like FedEx beat on it a bit - but it was all intact. Custom cut Styrofoam packing, well laid out. One spot where the lack of support on the bottom layer caused the Styrofoam to crack and a piece to beak out - looks like no harm done at all.

As you can imagine, it's messy if the Styrofoam is cracked at all, so have a vacuum handy! :-)

Box.jpg
Well - not everything is perfect first time around! "B DING" indeed!

packing1.jpg
Top of box

packing2.jpg
Wow - Red goodness!

packing3.jpg
Minor cracking due to lack of support between top layer and lower layer. The Styrofoam is pretty thick, this box may have been dropped by Fedex harder than I thought...

packing5.jpg
More red goodness!!
SystemsGuy

Re: OrdBot Hadron - RepRapDiscount

Postby SystemsGuy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 am

The aluminum parts quality is simply stunning - the anodization is brilliant - the pictures don't do it justice, and the cut, drill, and bends are spot on. No stress cracking on the bends either - nice work.

EDITED : After posting pictures, I noticed the white "spots" on the anodized surfaces - these are flakes of styrofoam I didn't manage to vacuum off!

Holes are also drilled to spec - spot checking a few with bit shafts, and all are spot on. The acrylic feet are stunning - laser cut. The kit includes 8mm threaded rod and flex couplers for the Z. A set of allen keys and - nice touch - a few extra grub screws are included.

Couple of niggly bits - this is a first run, so room for improvement -

1] Motor Mounts and Idler mounts are 1/16" as per Bart's original spec, and do have some flex. I suspect they will work ok, and would allow you to at least print replacements if you wanted / needed to.

2] "leadscrew" nuts on the Z-Axis appear to be stainless. Not sure on this - I've got some delrin, so not the end of the world if I need to cut new ones. Again, I don't think this is major problem, and to be fair they are threaded and cleaned well - no obvious binding. I suspect they will need regular lubrication.

3] Motors are Wangtai 42BYGHW609'S - these are 3400 g/cm holding, 220g/cm torque. Should be fine, I've normally use 809's.

4] Wire "hiding" holes are not drilled. Not the end of the world, not sure how many people use them. I'll probably assemble, test, and the debate stripping and drilling.

y-axis.jpg
Y-Axis

z-axis.jpg
Z-Axis and handle

foot.jpg
Laser cut, black acrylic

gantry-assembly.jpg
Gantry / X-Axis assembly
Last edited by SystemsGuy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SystemsGuy

Postby SystemsGuy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 pm

So I've cleared an area on the bench, and laid everything out to start thinking about endstops, wiring, etc - and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pull the thing apart and drill some wiring holes. I think I'll mock it up, and test it a bit, but I've pretty much convinced myself that I do want to internalize the wiring.
SystemsGuy

Postby reprapdiscount » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm

SystemsGuy wrote:So I've cleared an area on the bench, and laid everything out to start thinking about endstops, wiring, etc - and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pull the thing apart and drill some wiring holes. I think I'll mock it up, and test it a bit, but I've pretty much convinced myself that I do want to internalize the wiring.

Thank you for your review. The packing is very important, if you look at the box from outside you can see it suffered due the transportation, but not the content, now you understand why i refused to ship without a proper packing. It would be great to see reviews from other buyers as well.

I put a lot of effort to assure the quality of the aluminum parts is as good as possible, i am very satisfied with the result, but the customer has the last word, and as i can see from your post, you seems be happy with the machine work and with the material used.

The threaded rods and the threaded rod nuts on the Z-Axis are made out of stainless steel, i guarantee that !!!

I read about the z-axis motor holders, they should be 3mm thick, you also suggested it to me, i follow it up, and i will have them after 3 days, this mean all new kits will ship with 3mm thick z-axis motor holders.

We also designed a set of mechanical end stops for the ORD Bot, will post pictures soon, in the moment i am just lack of time, some people asked me about price for particular parts, i was not even able to do a price list till now...
http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/

Best Regards,
reprapdiscount

Contacts:

google talk: reprapdiscount
whatsapp: +8613267235555 (preferable)
wechat: reprapdiscount (preferable)
QQ: reprapdiscount
phone: +8613267235555
reprapdiscount

Postby SystemsGuy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm

I am very, very happy with the machined parts - the fit and finish is excellent! Let me know when you have the 3mm motor mounts, I'll pick up a set from you.

Also - if you are designing limit switches - I *love* your hall effect boards - but I don't see any way without a new layout a way to use them! :-(

I'm using Omron SS-5GL's, but any mini or micro with a 9.5mm hole spacing should work I'd think.

On the packing - it's pretty obvious that the box was "dropped" on it's bottom. There a bit of a gap between the bottom of the "top" cut layer and the bottom cut layer where "upper" layer is not supported due to the cutout of for the Y-table. I suspect it could be as simple as putting a piece of offcut foam on the table....

hole.jpg
This is where the z-axis motor on the top layer broke through.

reprapdiscount wrote:
SystemsGuy wrote:So I've cleared an area on the bench, and laid everything out to start thinking about endstops, wiring, etc - and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pull the thing apart and drill some wiring holes. I think I'll mock it up, and test it a bit, but I've pretty much convinced myself that I do want to internalize the wiring.

Thank you for your review. The packing is very important, if you look at the box from outside you can see it suffered due the transportation, but not the content, now you understand why i refused to ship without a proper packing. It would be great to see reviews from other buyers as well.

I put a lot of effort to assure the quality of the aluminum parts is as good as possible, i am very satisfied with the result, but the customer has the last word, and as i can see from your post, you seems be happy with the machine work and with the material used.

The threaded rods and the threaded rod nuts on the Z-Axis are made out of stainless steel, i guarantee that !!!

I read about the z-axis motor holders, they should be 3mm thick, you also suggested it to me, i follow it up, and i will have them after 3 days, this mean all new kits will ship with 3mm thick z-axis motor holders.

We also designed a set of mechanical end stops for the ORD Bot, will post pictures soon, in the moment i am just lack of time, some people asked me about price for particular parts, i was not even able to do a price list till now...
SystemsGuy

Postby reprapdiscount » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm

No problem about the hall endstops, have a look on my ORD Bot, if you have them, just download the STL file and print the holder

hall1.jpg

hall2.jpg

SystemsGuy wrote:I am very, very happy with the machined parts - the fit and finish is excellent! Let me know when you have the 3mm motor mounts, I'll pick up a set from you.

Also - if you are designing limit switches - I *love* your hall effect boards - but I don't see any way without a new layout a way to use them! :-(

I'm using Omron SS-5GL's, but any mini or micro with a 9.5mm hole spacing should work I'd think.

On the packing - it's pretty obvious that the box was "dropped" on it's bottom. There a bit of a gap between the bottom of the "top" cut layer and the bottom cut layer where "upper" layer is not supported due to the cutout of for the Y-table. I suspect it could be as simple as putting a piece of offcut foam on the table....

The attachment hole.jpg is no longer available

reprapdiscount wrote:

Attachments
Z Axis Hall Endstopv2 .rar
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 1765 times
http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/

Best Regards,
reprapdiscount

Contacts:

google talk: reprapdiscount
whatsapp: +8613267235555 (preferable)
wechat: reprapdiscount (preferable)
QQ: reprapdiscount
phone: +8613267235555
reprapdiscount

Postby SystemsGuy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 am

That's very nice - I''ll have to give it a try!
SystemsGuy

Postby SystemsGuy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm

So for various reasons - not the least of which was I decided I wanted max/min endstops, I decided to go mechanical. Thanks to others who have wandered this path before - dibloff! - I had a good idea of where I needed things to end up.

About the only gotcha I ran into was having a load of M2.5 screws for the endstops as opposed to M2's. I did, however, have a M2.5 bit, and a desire to have some holes to hold retaining/strain relief clips, so I drilled out the M2's to M2.5 and made the holes for my printed strain relief clips - I stuck 'em up here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:44395.

P1010463.JPG
X-Axis

P1010462.JPG
Y-Axis

P1010461.JPG
Z Axis / Gantry End

P1010460.JPG
Heatbed power wired. Waiting to install thermistor until I cut the AeroGel insulation.
SystemsGuy

Postby SystemsGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:23 pm

So the Hadron is up, running, and printing happily! I'll post up some pictures later, but I'm a happy camper! RepRapDiscount are shipping some 3mm Z_Axis motor mounts, so that's still on the "to-do",list.

I had a few spare PG35L planatery gearbox motors lying around, so I decided to mashup Johann's delta version to fit onto an Ordbot "length wise" platform. So far, I'm really happy with it - not got a lot of prints, but we did run a 9 hour one over night, and it came out beautiful.

I'm currently running on MXL belts and pulleys, but I've got GT2's that I'll probably toss on at some point in the future - I do want to try some high speed backlash test before swapping though - in theory the GT2 tooth profile should provide less backlash..

pg35l.jpg
SystemsGuy

Postby SystemsGuy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:58 pm

So the three mm Z motor holders have arrived and been installed - they are perfect, and to Bart's modified specification. This is good, as it has stiffened up my M8 threaded rods, but its also highlighted that one of my rods is not 100% true. It's close, but I have some 10mm ACME leadscrews spare, so I've dropped them by a local machine shop to have the ends turned down. I was going to try it myself, but I've simply run out of spare time, and turning hardened steel on my Chinese 7x12 is just not a load of fun in any event.

That said - has anyone ever had any success trying to straighten a slightly out of true M8 threaded rod?
SystemsGuy

Next

Return to Build Logs